MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flour tortillas

Bealadybug

All right... I am coming up off one of my easy recipes for you guys, in the hopes to win some brownie points. Most will have all ingredients on hand, especially if they are in here. And I use it to replace bread on sandwiches. Very easy...

Ingredients:

2 cups unbleached wheat flour ( i have used regular bleached flour with good results)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening (hard)

1/2 cup hot water

Directions (makes 12)

Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl

Add the lard or shortening. Use the pastry cutter or fork to blend the lard and the flour mixture until it becomes crumbly, like coarse sand

Add the hot water and stir until the mixture forms a soft, sticky dough. Form the dough into a ball with your hands.

Put the dough on a surface that has been sprinkled with flour. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough for about 1 minute. Add a little flour if the dough sticks.

Coverr the dough with a damp towel and set it aside for about 10 minutes

Flatten the dough slightly, then cut it into 12 equal pieces. First, cut the dough in half. Then cut each half in half again (into quarters). Finally, cut each quarter into 3 pieces.

Form each piece into a ball. Set the dough balls aside, covered with a damp towel for 30 minutes. This allows the dough to "relax" so it will stretch better when you roll it out

Sprinkle flour onto your work surface, the rolling pin, your hands and the dough balls.

To make a tortilla, flatten 1 dough ball with the heel of your hand. Roll the ball into a circle 1/8-1/4 inch thick and 6 to7 inches across.

Heat the griddle (I use a cast iron pan) over med-high heat for 5 minutes. Put the tortilla on the griddle. Cook for about 30 seconds, and than flip it. Cook on other side about 15 seconds or until it dries a little and looks slightly wrinkled, but is still soft and flexible.

Wrap the cooked tortillas in a dry towel until you serve them.

You can use these to wrap anything from tuna to PB&J, oriental dishes, they are so versatile. Any time that you would use bread, these are faster than having to make a loaf of bread, plus they are not as "heavy". Enjoy!!!

Buggs

This is similar to the recipe I use, and we eat tacos/burritos a couple of times a week. You should post this in Westie's "Whole Wheat" file! The one addition I would make for those with little mouths is to add powdered milk to your water to up the protein content of the tortillas - cause we all know how many of these will get crammed down straight off the grill!

Also note that this is a great way to serve "bread" without an oven. These work just fine over a campfire.

Archived