MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apples

Yart

Hello all,

I have come to you today hoping to find an answer. I was lucky enough to be gifted a bushel of apples on Sunday. Well, I got the whole family involved and we cleaned, cored, sliced and froze all of them as I knew it would be a few days till I could do something with them and I didn't want them going bad.

Now my question is can anyone tell me how to make applesauce out of the frozen apples? I have them in gallon size zip bags. I don't know how many cups or pounds are in each bag. Thanks in advance.

here is a link to making apple sauce. there is also one for apple butter at the top of the page under recipes.

I have never frozen them but I would let them thaw a bit and follow the information... a whole bushel! what luck!

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...ge=1#Post163304

I just cook them, then mash them or run them through a food mill. Can per directions in BBB (Ball Blue Book). Sometimes I add sugar & cinnamon, sometimes I don't if the apples are sweet enough.

I don't use frozen apples, but this is how I did 195 quarts this week...I cut the apples in half, then threw them into the pressure cooker/canners. I cooked them, at 15 lbs. pressure, for our area, for 2 mins. I scooped them out and dumped them into a 24 quart stockpot. My 12 year old, then ran them through the KA strainer, which worked great! Her price for labor, was $2 a stockpot. I then took the pureed and strained sauce and put it into the 16 quart roasters, added about 1 cup of brown sugar, and some cinn. I then brought the mess to boiling and canned it in the pressure canners for 10 mins. at 10 lbs. pressure, for quarts, for our area.

I also put a 24 quart stockpot, on a hot plate/ burner thing, and water bathed some of the sauce, also quarts, for 20 mins.

My little boys job, was to run the slop buckets out to the pastures and dump them...(Throw the slime all over the yard)...GRRRR!!!

Now mind you...This process is for super sized families, with 26 bushels of apples to do. I had two regular pressure canners going, two electric pressure canners, two roasters, and a water bath canner going...AND my kitchen WAS and STILL is...DESTROYED...FORVEVER!!!

Archived