and more recipes including pudding from scratch

http://users.htcomp.net/prep/18PowderedMilk.htm

lots of pudding and powdered milk ideas

http://www.onepanwonders.com/desserts.htm

1 small box sugar free fat free instant vanilla pudding

4 cups fat free milk

½ tsp. rum extract

¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

Mix and cool for 15 minutes. Pour into glass.

Wow! Thanks, ladies. I just didn't want to use my expensive store bought milk. I'd prefer to use it for the kids to drink.

Thanks for the recipes, Westie. I do have lots of puddings to use up. smile And it will be good to know how to use the milk once my store bought stuff dries up.

Made up powdered dry milk works fine for boxed or pudding mixes. I keep a quart jar with a mayo lid on it in the fridge for cooking so as not to use up the "good stuff".

Does powdered milk really save money? I know it's good to have on hand for emergencies, but it's gotten quite expensive. I haven't priced it out per gallon, but it seems it would cost as much as fresh. I guess I'll do some calculating today.

Vlynn, as with so many things the prices vary greatly, largely determined by the packaging. I started investigating and here's what I came up with.

Strangely enough, the Walmart Great Value box of individual packets were the cheapest route for me. They are extremely convenient being premeasured and also being packaged that way keeps it very fresh. My kids actually like it and call it "vanilla milk". That box costs me a little over $6 and when I started buying it our gallon of milk was running about $4. I can get 2 and 1/2 gallons out of the box. So, yes it was a savings.

On the other hand, I also ordered some of the Provident Pantry #10 cans of powdered milk for long term storage, it will last for a LOOOOONGGG time, decades!

So, I had two purposes. One was for daily usage and the other for a long term crisis situation.

My ultimate milk solution is to get a goat...other than my two little pet wethers that serve no purpose except entertainment and weed control.

since i prep, I always have boxes of instant or powdered milk on hand. Since I never know when S may HTF, I am always prepared.

Is it cheaper, for me it doesn't matter since I am storing because I need it for cooking. Milk is one of the 4 basic ingredients for survival, the other 3 being whole wheat, salt and sugar or honey.

I have bees and still store sugar! I prefer sugar over honey for storability, recipes as I don't have to do any converting and I find sugar is what the recipes have been built around.

Archived