MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning

Honey on Ham

What kind of recipe are you following? You won't have any problems if you use a tested recipe from a food preservation source such as the Ball Blue Book or the National Center for Home Food Preservation/University of Georgia Extension.

Ground Beef must be boiled in 'water' or if you do it the normal way must be thoroughly rinsed with boiling water to remove all the oil.

Hopefully you are pressure canning your recipe for a minimum 75 minutes for pints.

None of my regular canned meat, nor ground beef ever taste 'rubbery'.

I'm not understanding your statement 'Honey on Ham'.

Hi Honey on Ham! welcome6

So you've tried it and you don't like the taste? Like Canned Nerd, I'm wondering about the recipe you're using, and if you are following the recommended methods of canning.

Another thing might be the quality of the meat you're using. "Ground beef" can vary a LOT in flavor and quality, and it sure affects the taste of the finished product.

Come on down and read in the "Preserving the Harvest" forum, and see if your question can be answered by something you find there. You might find that something as simple as adding beef flavoring helps, but I'm not sure at this point.

(I'll move this thread to the "Preserving the Harvest" forum, to give Honey on Ham a chance to read these replies, and for more canners to jump in to help!)

bighug

Ask anything you like... we love to help!

And you've got years of experienced canners here who know how to do things and are willing to help.

bighug

Archived