MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mylar Bags Without 5-Gallon Buckets

I'm trying to get my food storage organized, including using mylar bags for the first time. I've gotten smaller mylar bags (and oxygen absorbers) than the ones designed for the 5-gallon buckets, as I thought it would be nice to open a moderate amount at a time. When I open them, I plan to put whatever I don't use immediately in canning jars sealed with my Pump-N-Seal.

I'm planning to store: flour, wheat berries, oatmeal/oat groats, and sugar, as well as other items.

Here's my question: Is there any reason I can't place my filled mylar bags in rectangular Sterline/Rubbermaid boxes? I have some of those already, and I'd rather not have to buy anything else to store them in. Also, the rectangular shaped boxes would store more efficiently in my house than the 5-gallon buckets.

Mylar tears easily; that's why many of us put our sealed mylar bags in *something*. I recall one member who posted that she was stacking her mylar bags in an old, non-functional, freezer. I think your plan will work just fine!

P.S. Nice to see a post from you! bighug

Thank you, HSMom---for the reply AND the greeting. The last six months have been very difficult, so it's been hard to post much here, although I do come here and read what I can from time to time. I so much appreciate the information I've gotten here.

I'm glad you think my plan will work, as it will save me money and be much easier to store. I just hope I don't poke any holes in the mylar while I'm filling the bags---I can be quite a klutz sometimes.

You're welcome. Life does have a way of sending us off in different directions than we had anticipated. grin

Depending on what thickness (or "mil") of mylar you purchased, they're not *that* easy to poke holes into. Take your time; do your best. You'll be fine.

I order mine from Sorbent Systems online. Great price, variety and service. I've been putting my filled mylar bags into empty paper ream boxes. I get them free from work and they stack well...I don't have to worry about any mice etc getting into them as they are inside the house, decorating our bedroom walls. I have such a lovely sense of style smile

Archived