MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Refried Beans?

Shandy

OK. I'm ready to make the jump from buying canned refried beans to making my own.

It seems like a lot of trouble to take out 2 cups of dried beans and cook them up that day that I need them.

So I'm thinking about canning them. I know I can't can them all mashed up because of the density.

But how would I do it, step by step, just canning the beans so I can dump them from the jar to pan, mash up as I'm heating them, and serve?

Shurleen,

They need to be rehydrated first and packed hot into the jars.

When a method/recipe says "hot pack" that is part of the safety of canning that food.

USDA method:

BEANS OR PEAS--SHELLED, DRIED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All varieties

QUANTITY: An average of 5 pounds is needed per canner

load of 7 quarts; an average of 3-1/4 pounds is needed per

canner load of 9 pints--an average of 3/4 pound per quart.

QUALITY: Select mature, dry seeds. Sort out and

discard discolored seeds.

PROCEDURE: Place dried beans or peas in a large pot

and cover with water. Soak 12 to 18 hours in the

refrigerator. Drain well. To quickly hydrate beans, cover

sorted and washed beans with boiling water in a saucepan.

Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat, soak 1 hour and drain.

Cover beans soaked by either method with fresh water and

boil 30 minutes. Add l/2 teaspoon of salt per pint or 1

teaspoon per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill hot jars

with beans or peas and cooking water, leaving 1-inch

headspace. Adjust lids and process.

RECOMMENDED PROCESS TIMES FOR BEANS OR PEAS IN A

DIAL-GAUGE PRESSURE CANNER use 11 lb. pressure, 10 lb. WEIGHTED GAUGE CANNER

Pints 75 min. Quarts 90 min.

If you have a grain mill that can handle beans you can grind the beans into flour and have "instant" refried beans. I do this a lot for my daughter who loves them.

You mix the powdered beans, one part bean flour to four parts water, seasoning, a little fat, stir while cooking over low heat until thick and tasting "done". Add more water as needed. This is a good way to use old, dry, hard beans.

Thanks, guys.

Trish, we do have a grain mill that can do this, I believe. I might need to get a different grinding stone...but still, that would be quick and easy.

How much fat and what kind of seasonings would you suggest adding?

I know you're asking about canning the beans, but a friend showed me this recipe a few months ago, and it is a really easy to make refried beans in the crock pot. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans...fry/Detail.aspx I just dump everything in the pot in the morning before I take my girls to school, and it is ready by supper time.

Sometimes we eat the beans whole for supper the first night, and then I mash the leftovers before I put them in the fridge. They are so good.

Oh, and hi. I have been reading here for a while, but this is my first post. I am learning so much from all of you.

Archived