MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help with Cast Iron Cleaning

I've got a great and very old cast iron corn pone, uhhh, thingy. It was my grandmother's and its probably about 100+ years old. I've used it for years (as she did) but lately I can't get it clean. It's getting 'gummy' - like it's got rubber cement in it. (It doesn't).

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting it clean? So far, I'm just using hot water and a toothbrush!

Maybe it needs to be reseasoned??? I have a couple of cast iron muffin pans that I'm not even trying to use any more for the same reason. shrug

Someone the other day mentioned burning off the gunk in a oven set on 'cleaning'. I haven't tried it yet. Was it ol'momma? I can't remember.

Sounds like a plan, but my little oven doesn't have a cleaning cycle.

Would 'Easy Off' work? How about vinegar?

I think it probably does need to be re-seasoned, but I'd like to get it cleaned up first.

Yuck.

I have used oven cleaner.. but.. you really have to scrub it with SOAP after! cause you don't want all the caustic stuff left on it.

I always use soap to clean my cast iron! always! scrub, scrub with a sponge with the scrubbie on the back... dawn is my favorite dishwashing liquid..... I don't have a dishwasher.. I am the dishwasher...

then I always season it on the stove before putting away.

Oven cleaner will get it clean with minimal effort.

Make sure you not only rinse it well, but use a small brush when rinsing it.

To make certain you have ALL the oven cleaner off, dry the utensil thoroughly, then put it in a 350 oven for about 30 -45 minutes. After the utensil cools, check it over for any "water spots". The "water spots" will be oven cleaner residue.

Once you get all the residue off, go ahead and re season it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cast iron is porous and will absorb the toxins from any cleaner altho I'm sure many people do it that way and are fine smile The old way is to turn it upside down on a fire and burn off the old stuff then reseason.

I have one of those old corn pone pans also given to me by my grandmother smile We love corn pones but our favorite use for it is baked corndogs.

Archived