MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do for the FLU!!

carr

I've been trying to get my flu preps in order and I'm confused. Go figure.

Walgreen had Theraflu on sale, which I thought was part of the list of things to get. Come to find out, it's Tamiflu. Is the Theraflu useful? Should I return it? Where do I get Tamiflu?

I'm also confused about Nana's post ... which BTW, is awesome!! Do I use Tamiflu in conjunction with the Homeopathic remedies, or avoid Tamiflu with them?

I know I have a lot of research to do on my own, but a quick answer to these few questions would surely relieve the pressure on my brain right now!! LOL

As always, thanks in advance!!! thanks

when I have a bad cold or the flu I use Theraflu or TheraCold!

I especially like the nighttime! lets me sleep which is what I need when I feel bad.

Tamiflu is expensive and requires a prescription.

I have boxes of TheraFlu and TheraCold... some for congestion, come for sever ... night time!!! daytime...

I like it.. not that I like it... as in yum! it isn't yum! but it does help me.

I can't do the Nyquil! it works for about 2 hours for me then I am wide awake... when I want to be sound asleep.

Ah, I see. Thanks so much. How much Theraflu/cold do you like to keep on hand?

Me? ummmmmmmm a couple dozen boxes in my pantry! what can I say... hate to be caught without any ... and if shtf... I have it if needed.

My Mother was here for a couple of months.. she caught a cold...it was nice to hand her a box of sever night time cold for coughs. It helped her sleep at night when she really needed to rest.

When I am not feeling well.. I just want to sleep. So it is nothing for me to go through a box.

check out Zycam cold and Zycam flu

here is another product I have in my pantry

http://www.oscillo.com/

how many of each? lots! but I have quite a large family should SHTF

If anyone here wants something that really helps with chest congestion, a product called Mucinex is good. It's basically straight Guaifenesin expectorant. You can get it in 400 mg. caps or higher over the counter.

Combine that with a good humidifier and Vicks Vaporub and it keeps things loosened which helps the symptoms to go away faster.

Take homeopathic remedies away from everything else, or you will negate them.

For the Oscillio, I have friends who only use just a few of the pills in the little vial for a dose, and make the one vial last for the whole family though the whole illness, and they say it works just as well. I'm going to try that next time.

I'd also add Umcka cold care to that list of homeopathic remedies to have on hand.

Tamiflu is a perscription and my understanding is that it's got some pretty big side effects. I'll stick to my homeopathics and herbs.

herbs... Boneset

from: http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/bonese65.html

As a remedy in catarrh, more especially in influenza, it has been extensively used and with the best effects, given in doses of a wineglassful, warm every half hour, the patient remaining in bed the whole time; after four or five doses, profuse perspiration is caused and relief is obtained. It is stated that the popular name Boneset is derived from the great value of this remedy in the treatment of a species of influenza which had much prevailed in the United States, and which from the pain attending it was commonly called Break-Bone Fever.

Thanks Westie, Teaberry and Percysgirl ... just what I needed to help me move forward. I'm really concerned about the flu this year as I have always had a bad feeling about flu shots and don't get them. Something is just nagging me this year and I MUST get this prep complete. I just feel it.

A few follow-up questions if you don't mind!!!

Of the Zycam Flu, Theraflu, and Oscillo ...

Can they be used in conjunction with one another, or is it one or the other?

Is Oscillo... a homeopathic remedy?

Thank you for the links. I've begun doing some of the research in Nature's Remedy and am on the lookout for the recommended books. (Half Price books .. here I come!! Whoo Whoo!!)

As always, the wealth of knowledge found here and the genuine spirit with which it is shared is greatly appreciated.

My best to you all.

I see many of you are making reference to various brand name OTC products. If you decide to go with OTC medications, check the label for the ingredients and dosage/amount, then look at the store brand. Frequently you can get the exact same thing for substantially less.

I take morphine for pain. Unfortunately, morphine (at least with me) causes extreme constipation. My doctor recommended Senekot laxative. At Wal-mart, Senekot is about $23 for 100 tablets. The Equate brand has the exact same ingredient with the same dosage for $6 for 100 tablets.

I have also found this to hold true for MANY OTC products such as Tylenol Flu, Muscinex, etc. The store brand, in most cases, is exactly the same thing, but without the big price for the name brand.

Originally Posted By: carr
Of the Zycam Flu, Theraflu, and Oscillo ...

Can they be used in conjunction with one another, or is it one or the other?

Is Oscillo... a homeopathic remedy?

Theraflu is 'allopathic' medicine, Zycam and oscillio are homeopathic. You can combine them in that you can take them in the same day, but you shouldn't take a homeopathic at the same time as anything but water. And nothing in the mouth for 30 minutes on either side.
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: westbrook
herbs... Boneset

from: http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/bonese65.html

As a remedy in catarrh, more especially in influenza, it has been extensively used and with the best effects, given in doses of a wineglassful, warm every half hour, the patient remaining in bed the whole time; after four or five doses, profuse perspiration is caused and relief is obtained. It is stated that the popular name Boneset is derived from the great value of this remedy in the treatment of a species of influenza which had much prevailed in the United States, and which from the pain attending it was commonly called Break-Bone Fever.

Ho ho, very cool! Another use for one of my verymost favorite herbs -- comfrey! (Do be sure to use comfrey ROOT as a tea, not the leaves. As far as I've been able to research, the leaves are what one ought to stay away from for internal use. The root is fine for internal & external use; leaves are for external use only.)

Archived