MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pinto Beans/Chili Beans

HannaLee

I learned so much in my "Can I can this recipe thread", I thought I'd ask the experts opinions on these two recipes. I have made both and they taste great!

Soak 5 pounds of sorted, rinsed pinto beans overnight. Drain soaking water and add fresh. Boil for 30 minutes, then proceed with the recipes. Makes 14 quarts.

Canned Burrito Beans

In each of seven washed, hot quart jars, add:

1/4 cup tomato sauce

2 Tbsp chopped onions

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp paprika

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp black pepper, garlic powder AND sugar

1/8 tsp oregano

2 1/2 cups soaked pinto beans

Fill with hot bean water to 1" headspace. Cap securely with two piece lids. Shake well to distribute spices. Process in pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10 pounds. Release pressure and carefully move the jars to a folded towel to cool. Remove rings and let cool overnight.

Canned Pinto Beans

In each of seven washed, hot quart jars, add:

1/2 Tbsp chili powder

1 Tbsp + 1 tsp tomato sauce

1 tsp dried onion AND salt

scant 1/8 tsp garlic powder

heaping 1/2 Tbsp diced green chilis

2 1/2 cup soaked pinto beans

Fill with hot bean water to 1" headspace. Cap securely with two piece lids. Shake well to distribute spices. Process in pressure canner for 90 minutes at 10 pounds. Release pressure and carefully move the jars to a folded towel to cool. Remove rings and let cool overnight.

Shaking the contents before processing is questionable since particles can be placed up against lid and rim which could potentially contaminate the seal during the purging stage and cause a weak seal. I would not recommend it.

I am by no means an expert, but at first glance, they seem to be alright. I agree about not shaking them. Stir the beans as you're adding them to jars, and shake when you cook/reheat them riht before eating, but not prior to canning. Both recipes sound really good, thanks for sharing. smile

Archived