MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home made soup recipes

etp777

OK Violet, I know we can no longer use the process for ingredient with longest time method of making up our own recipes. But how does the generic "soup" recipe from UGA work and stay safe then?

http://uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

is it because it's only half solids and half broth? I know I've heard this mentioned before. Is this a general rule then, following this recipe,t hat I can likely make up a soup recipe that is safe, as long as I add no thickeners, pasta, rice, dairy products, eggs, etc?

Looking to modify some recipes like my rabbit stew into a safe cannable product. Obviously, can't cook up a package of bacon and then also brown the rabbit meat in the grease. laugh But getting rid of the bacon andgrease, AND fact that the red wine actually raises the acidity level, could I come up with recipe following UGA guidelines and have a safe product? looking to add some things beyond the basics in BBB, UGA, etc, but still want to be safe.

It is because of the density of the soup. Half solids, half broth will allow for the right density. Otherwise, if you make up your own recipe and fill it more full than that, the heat may not penetrate the food properly.

Even Elizabeth Andress advises against using precanned tomatoes in foods like spaghetti sauce and canning it. She said the canned tomatoes are denser since they have already been cooked down. So, to sub the same amount of canned ones when fresh are called for in a spaghetti sauce, the density will be wrong for canning. I know this because one of my fellow Food Advisors emailed and asked Elizabeth about it.

So, to answer your question, yes, use half of the soup solids in the jar, the other half broth. Then use the times in the method for soups. You can add wine as part or all of your broth.

There is a recipe for Beef in Wine sauce in the Ball Book. I canned some. It is pretty good, but not as flavorful as I had hoped. It seems to need some different herb or something. Still good for a fast meal, though.

Yep, I've made that one twice now, and definitely like it, but you're right, not quite flavorful enough for me. Actually, feel same way about their beef stew. I like to add worchestire sauce and a dash of wine or dark beer when I warm it up again.

Thanks. smile Now just need to pick up some rabbit again to experiement with. Or convince my parents' dogs to get me some again. wink

Archived