MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

rash? pimples?

DenimDaze

Hi Denim,

As we were discussing in the Shout Box, I'm even more convinced upon seeing her precious little face, that it might be Impetigo.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T084700.asp

(this is a snippit)

WHAT IS IMPETIGO?

It is a bacterial infection of the skin that can occur just about anywhere, but is most common around the mouth and nose or on the buttocks and arms. Impetigo may or may not itch. Scratching spreads the eruptions. Mild impetigo is often caused by streptococcus or staphylococcus. It occurs when the skin gets raw and irritated from scratching, runny nose, or excessive drooling. The bacteria may invade any area where the top protective layer of skin is broken down by an injury or irritation. Picking the skin around the nose or picking a pimple is an invitation for bacteria to come in and set up an infection

Is the rash itchy to her, DenimDaze? At first I thought chicken pox, but also see her mouth is erupting so impetigo comes to mind. No matter what, a triple antibiotic ointment applied with QTips you discard safely so no one else can touch it ( ziploc bag), and fresh linens as well as your unscented soaps. Impetigo is very catching stuff. It could be both but I don't know. Sounds like a visit to the doc is a good idea to be sure.

There are certainly lots of natural salves too but making sure the antibiotic herbs are in them might be a good idea unless you just use a triple antibiotic ointment.

Even if its chicken pox it will help prevent other infections, and if shes been having a nasty cold with this, that could be it. the ointment will help her skin heal faster without scarring. My son got chicken pox when he was three, his face is fine. If she is scratching, put mittens or some clean socks on her hands after she wakes up and have her wear them unless she is trying to eat of course or go to the bathroom, it may help her not to scratch.

the lips are mainly because she got a bit dehydrated and got those bits of dead skin on them - and then picked them off. She of course wouldn't listen when I asked her to leave the little dead bits of lip skin alone. It did not seem to be a rach there - it looks terrible, doesn't it?

It doesn't seem to be itchy, she hasn't touched them. That is the only reason I haven't gone to the Doctor, and why I keep thinking it might be pimples. One bit was actually a white head, very strange to see on a 2yo!

I don't know, of course ~ but with the rash confined to only the area around her mouth and if it doesn't itch and with your mention that her lips had been badly dried ~ well, my kid has (on several occasions) broke out around her mouth when the stuff I put on her lips to keep them moist gets smeared around & rubbed into her facial skin. Looks alot like what yours has in the picture.

Hope whatever it is is gets cleared up soon!

: Christy

Today's diagnosis was impetigo on her face and walking pneumonia.

I'm guessing the initial cold virus got her enough run down to pick up the other two, both of which are bactrial infections.

She should start getting better in 2 days - if not, back we go. With the advil in her, she is rather enjoying all the fussing and attention which is a good sign.

Thanks for the help eveyone!

Archived