MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

question about when chicken noodle soup is done

kathy003

I pressure canned my first batch of chicken noodle soup tonight. I waited until the canner cooled down and followed the instructions.

When I lifted off the top a little bit of steam escaped ( i made sure I lifted away from me). i peaked into the canner and it looked like the soup was still boiling a bit. Is this normal? I put the lid back on and am going to wait about 10 more minutes, but i don't want the soup in the canner too long.

Is this normal?

Also, I still have 1/2 a pot of soup left in the fridge. Can I can the rest of it up tomorrow or does the soup have to be very fresh to can?

Thanks!

Hi Kathy, your soup is fine. It takes awhile for the jars to cool, so it boiling in the jars is normal. Also, you may can the rest of it without any worries. Make sure you heat it up before putting it in the jars. Sounds like you did everything right. Congratulations!!!

"Wormie"

John

Good for you, Kathy! woo hoo!

I second what John said...your soup is great!

My recipes say to leave the jars in the canner for 10 minutes after removing the canner lid, and then to remove them and put them in a draft-free place/on a towel.

Those little buggers sure can boil and boil for a long time after though....

I bet you are so excited though! Isn't canning fun?

((hugs))

Sorry, but if you put the noodles in that soup when you canned it you will need to dump it. Noodles are a thickener, plus it will change the ph level of the soup. It will be unsafe to eat. You need to can the chicken and broth and veggies, if wanted. Then, when you open the jars of soup you add noodles or rice, etc. when you heat it up.

Nope! I didn't can the noodles with the soup,, you guys repeat that over and over again so there was no way to make that mistake :lol:

Also, I had serendipity in the shoutbox to remind me not to put the noodles in, so I knew.

It was really fun to can the soup last night. Next week i'm gonna do beef stew then Turkey soup... i think this could get addicting.

Archived