MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

turkey stock/soup

Yart

Since this is the first time I am going to pressure can. Tonight I made the stock. It is in a 5 gallon bucket outside cooling as I don't have the fridge space and I know I need to defat it. Now tomorrow I would like to make the soup. The turkey, carrots and celery are frozen still. Do I need to boil the stock and all the other ingredients before I add it to the jars. Or do I heat the meat and veggies and then the broth separately so that I can fill the jars with it. I know that I can only fill 1/2 full with the solids and then with broth to the fill line. I know that it should be a straight forward answer. But I just want to make sure. Nervous like crazy. I just want it to turn out. :huh:

After I have the stock made and take off the extra fats, I cook all of it together. Then when I fill the jars, I use a slotted spoon to fill with "solids", and fill the rest with boiling broth from the same pot.

Be sure to wipe the edge with a clean cloth before putting the hot lids/flats on, followed by the ring.

If you get worried while doing it, come in here and post, or in the shout box if others are there. Somebody should be around to help.

(Check your private messages!!)

Cat

I am concerned about you saying you left the stock out of the fridge.

If you are not refrigerating that stock you need to throw it out. Any food that sits out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours needs to be tossed.

Your bucket needs to be food grade, too. Not sure what kind of bucket you are using.

You need to put foods into shallow containers and cool in the fridge as quickly as possible.

If you don't get it chilled fast enough, bacteria will grow in it.

From FDA/foodsafety

Storage Basics http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/foodst...108.html#basics

Refrigerate or freeze perishables right away. Foods that require refrigeration should be put in the refrigerator as soon as you get them home. Stick to the "two-hour rule" for leaving items needing refrigeration out at room temperature. Never allow meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, or produce or other foods that require refrigeration to sit at room temperature for more than two hours—one hour if the air temperature is above 90° F. This also applies to items such as leftovers, "doggie bags," and take-out foods. Also, when putting food away, don't crowd the refrigerator or freezer so tightly that air can't circulate.

Storing foods safely:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_e/e-118.pdf

Well, the high temperatures in Michigan today ranged near 22 degrees F, and the low near 17 degrees F. I figured as long as the critters were kept out of it, her broth should cool *faster* than in the refrigerator.

I have done the same in winter... placed it in a safe and very cold outside place. DD has a playhouse that the big critters can be locked out of, and with heavy weights, no mouse could get into my pans.

;)

Thank you Cat for your advice. I didn't get your message until today. I just went for it yesterday. I ended up with 7 quarts of turkey soup. It went wonderful. I even worked on 4 pints of turkey stock today. Waiting for the canner to cool now. I have chicken cooking down for the next round. LOL!

Violet, I just wanted to let you know that I did use a food grade bucket and it was about 18 degrees that night. Thank you for your concern.

:woohoo: WAY TO GO!!! :woohoo:

Now you'll see what we mean when we tell about lining our jars up on the counter just to *look* at 'em!!!! :D

And I'm glad you took precautions about having it outside... Violet is correct in her concerns. But when I saw you were in Michigan and checked the temps, I figured you were ok.

:bighug2:

Archived