MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Bananas

:wave::welcome: to Mrs. S Zoombies.

I make a similar banana butter and can it. I've kept it for years with no adverse problems. I have preserved it with both water bath method and with pressure and both seem to be fine.

My recipe is similar but I sometimes add other fruits or nuts making it into a type of conserve. I especially like golden raisins cooked into the batch.

This is a tasty way to preserve bananas that are on sale or those which are over ripe.

:bighug2:

The only safe way to can bananas is in a banana jam recipe. It has lemon juice added to it, too.

Not just any banana jam or banana butter recipe is safe.

Be sure it comes from a reliable source. The safe ones I know of are from Sure Jell/Kraft foods.

Bananas are low acid and need to be properly canned to be safe.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/surej...read-51023.aspx

ph of Banana, yellow 5.00 - 5.29

The recipe you sent is fine, it has the lemon juice in it.

Edited by Violet

My first thought was I'd never heard of canning bananas, but then realized they sell canned tropical fruit salad with bananas in it.

Violet, is this one of those things the commercial canners can do, that we can't?

• 3 years later...

I know that this is an old post, but I found a recipe for a banana jam and wanted to verify that it is safe....Thanks!

MONKEY BUTTER

5 medium-size perfectly ripe bananas (no brown spots)

20 oz. can of crushed pineapple, not drained.

1/4 cup coconut (I prefer ground coconut)

3 cups of white sugar

3 Tbsp lemon juice (use bottled for uniform acidity)

Peel and slice bananas, then add all ingredients to a heavy saucepan.

Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until thick. As the mixture thickens, stir constantly until desired thickness is achieved.

When thick, spoon mixture immediately into hot sterilized jars, apply heated lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Other fruits can be added, particularly topical fruits such as mango (pictured on the left below.) Also, it is common for the butter to take on a light pink hue when processed. The sample on the right below was not processed, but just stored in the fridge…which I started to do once it became clear that this ambrosia doesn’t hang around long enough to require canning!)