MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canner help -

kimba

It has a weighted rocker in the center, which is a 3-piece weight for 5#, 10#, or 15#. You do NOT want a canner with a dial gauge unless you live at an altitude of 2,000 ft or higher. Dial gauges have to be tested before use and annually and generally are a pain to use.

I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/MIRRO-PRESSURE-COOKER-...%3A1%7C294%3A50 and I think it might be good, but it doesn't seem to have a gauge. Am I missing something here?? I'm so new to this! I feel lost!

Thanks in advance!

Kimba

Kimba,

A weighted gauge is the way to go nowdays. Many places in the country no longer have a place to get the gauge tested, so I would suggest a weighted gauge. You can also get a Presto with a dial and buy a three peice weight set to use on it. You leave the dial on, just use as a visual gauge if you want, but you rely on the weights. That is what I do now.

Mirro are good, Presto are good. All American are the most expensive, heavy, but do not have a rubber gasket to ever replace. It has a series of bolts you clamp down. It is a metal to metal seal. I cannot lift one due to my back problems. The AA comes with both the dial and weights. So, it depends upon what features you want, price, etc.

Personally, I would not get the 12 quart unless you want to process smaller amounts of jars. If you get a 23 quart size, you can stack pints and half pints, getting done faster.

The 12 quart would be handy for small batches of food.

Again, it depends upon what you will use it for, how much you want to spend, etc.

Archived