MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Broth--Veggie and Chicken

mishbloom

'Cause I'm kinda dense like this:

I've got some lovely celery, onion, parsley stock that I boiled up this morning. (Had to do something with all the leftover celery tops from my largesse of bunches on the 10 for $10 special last week!) I would love to can this--or maybe add some chicken to it before I can it up. (I'm straining the veggies out before I use it.)

But first a question or two.

Can I can this broth just as it is? For how long?

Are there any guidelines on what veggies I can throw in a pot, cook up, and be able to make broth with? I mean, can I just toss some carrots, celery, onion, etc in, cook it up, strain and can? Or are the guidelines pretty strict on how much of what needs to go in? (I know there is for soups and the like, but for broth??)

Could I use this to can some chicken in? Or must I go back to the "2 cups of carrots, 1 stalk of celery" dictatd by the book?

I guess I'm just not quite sure how much wiggle room I've got on soups and stocks and the like. If I'm dependent on a set-in-stone recipe for vegetable soup...but I don't like peas or something...is it okay to omit the stuff I don't like...and could I double what I do?

I don't really have a problem freezing it if it isn't canner-safe...but it does kinda defeat the purpose of 'using up my leftovers for a rainy day.' (Minus electricity.)

Does this even make sense the way I asked this? *headdesk*

Any broth or stock can be canned and stored for as long as you want. Yes, broth or stock can be added to chicken when it is canned.

You can put any ingredients you want into preparing a broth or stock to flavor it since all the solids are strained out after cooking leaving only the liquid.

Its a little confusing. Are you wanting to 'can' stock/broth or chicken or are you wanting to make vegetable soup. They are all different recipes.

Thanks, CN. You answered the question(s) perfectly--about the broth and chicken. And I did find a thread about raw pack poultry too that clarified some things. So I think I'm set on that front.

Sorry, all the phlegm in my head is making me sorta nuts. Evidently my fingers need my brain to be coherent or something... :huh:

Never mind about the soup. I'm not ready to try any just yet anyway. So I'll probably find a recipe I like before I get to that.

Thanks!

Archived