MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Problem canning apples

YYY

Hi Everybody,

When I can apples, I always get a lot of bubbles. They first show up when I cover the apples in the jars with boiling water. With a thin spatula I do what I can to get rid of as many bubbles as possible – but there are too many. The bubbles are still there after I process them and after I open them. Any suggestions ???

Thanks

YYY

The only way to avoid this would be to cook the apples completely before canning.

Apples naturally have "air cells" in them, and when you can them blanched/heated, they still have them. As far as I know, there is no way to avoid the bubbles.

Unless you only make applesauce??? :shrug:

You need to do a hot pack, not a raw pack, as she said.

Some fruits do not do well with a raw pack, apples being one of them. You sort of "preshrink" the fruit when you hot pack.

Lots of people have applesauce full of bubbles. That is because they make it too thick. If it gets a lot of bubbles or oozes out of the jars it is because it is too thick.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for responding. I do hot pack and from now on, I will make sure nothing is too thick. I guess what I was asking was, with the bubbles is it OK to eat? I have before with no ill effects. But then I got to thinking . . .

Thanks,

YYY

Hi Violet,

Sorry, I just noticed your answer. I feel so-o-o much better knowing that my apples are OK.

Safeway has 3 pound bags of apples for $1.99. GREAT price around here.

Now that I know my apples are safe, I'll buy more to can.

Thanks again, Violet

YYY

Archived