MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

first outdoor cooking of the year

SNC000301.jpg

Happy as anything, cooking outside after re-seasoning my DO.

Tiny garden, lots of fun. The food is cooking now as I post it. Life is good :D

Lol Stephanie, it was late afternoon here. I'm in the Netherlands.

The hat is to protect my eye. Chronic uveitis and I cannot have light in it. So nothing fancy, just a necessity ;)

In the pot went (after re-seasoning it earlier this day) oil, chopped onions, garlic and diced lean pork. When that was brown, in went the potatoes and carrots with cajun spices plus one stockcube and a bit of water.

It was mighty delicious I don't mind telling you.

After that I tested a large 5 litre container I scored on the jumblesale last week to see if it would be ok on an open fire. Yep, drinking tea from the water in there right now.

Me is happy.

This is all a testrun for after Easter. I'll be going to Germany than to our retreat to refurb the place. Since there is nothing there, everything will be either woodcooking, campingas or haybox. After the chimneys have been rebuild, there'll be a woodstove again so looking forward to that.

Biscuitmaker, the tripod is fantastic. I bought it together with the DO and a skillet and am so pleased I did. Under the DO is a cast iron bbq grill thingie which is perfect for making a fire on. The tripod means it's way easier to control the temp inside the DO better by hanging it higher or lower.

Tomorrow I hope to brace myself and overcome the fear of the new...

C4C is probably grinning now as she might remember me cowering behind the door when first pressure canning which she guided me though fantastically.

So with some luck, I might try bread and dumpcake tomorrow. Fear of the unknown etc... :blush:

I too love your setup. You do look so content and the food sounds yummy. Good for you. Here in TX we Barbq a bunch whether over coals, firewood , and smoking.

Stephanie your cherry dump cake looks great. Going to try it. Right now I make a mean pineapple upside down cake in my dutch oven.

dumpcake.jpg

OH.... Could I beg a recipe of you please?

Sure! Be glad to share! :)

I have it posted in the Recipe portion of the site. Let's see if this link will work.

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?au...ODE=03&id=4

Oh there is bread baking in the DO now and a can of peaches and a can of mandarins are waiting. Got a box of cakemix and a stick of butter standby as well.

As soon as the bread comes out, in goes the cake.

Me is doing a happy dance.

Wow Stephanie that recipe sounds and looks great...can't wait to give it a try...thanks for sharing!

Christy - love the pic...inspiring indeed!!

Up here in the still frozen north I absolutely relish cooking outdoors - grilling on an open fire, and I use apple wood or maple when I can.

Archived