MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

buttermilk

Cultured buttermilk is probably the easiest and most fool proof fermented milk product to make nothing more than the tart liquid left after the butter is churned. ... Buttermilk is used in many recipes to give it a creamy taste or texture. Buttermilk when used to make fried chicken keeps the chicken moist. ... My Recipe Notes...

468k - 67 sec @ 56k

This site uses Flash www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=143 www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=143 · Cached

Lele, I'm gonna go ahead and post the entire info, OK? Might be more clear since she wants to know about it. ;)

~~~

(From RecipeZaar.com's "Kitchen Dictionary" section)

Cultured buttermilk is probably the easiest and most fool proof fermented milk product to make nothing more than the tart liquid left after the butter is churned. Buttermilk is low in fat. It's sometimes tolerated by people with lactose intolerance since some of the lactose is fermented by bacteria. The acidity of buttermilk also explains its long refrigerator shelf life. Slightly sour in taste. It is quite popular as a coolant in India and a variant called lassi is sold commercially. Buttermilk can be found in supermarkets, in the dairy section, and is known as cultured buttermilk, which is made by adding a bacterial culture to low-fat or nonfat milk. For more authentic and tasty, though, there is churned buttermilk, which is the liquid that remains after milk is churned into butter. Buttermilk is used in many recipes to give it a creamy taste or texture. Buttermilk when used to make fried chicken keeps the chicken moist.

Season: available year-round

How to select: Buttermilk is found in any grocery store where regular milk is sold.

Substitutions: 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice + low-fat or fat-free milk to make 1 cup & let stand for 10 minutes = 1 cup low fat or fat-free buttermilk

http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=143

~~~

I have use the vinegar or the lemon juice to "sour" milk to make it like buttermilk. A lot of the older recipes that call for "sour milk" can be used with buttermilk or this method. (A long time ago, cooks needed to use up the milk that soured before they could use it. They found that it actually helped the tenderness in some recipes.)

You can also find a dried buttermilk powder from Saco Foods, often found in the baking aisle near dried milk. (Looks like this - http://www.sacofoods.com/culteredbuttermilkblend.html )

Buttermilk is usually used for its acidic properties, and how it reacts to leavening agents, such as baking powder and baking soda.

A common substitute for buttermilk is;

Ingredients

Milk (just under one cup)

1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice

Preparation

1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.

2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.

3. Let stand for five minute. Use as your recipe calls for.

You can also find a dried buttermilk powder from Saco Foods, often found in the baking aisle near dried milk. (Looks like this - http://www.sacofoods.com/culteredbuttermilkblend.html )

This is what I use.

The only thing that I ever seem to make that calls for buttermilk is either biscuits or cornbread, so this is perfect for me.

Just remember to store it in the fridge once it's been opened.

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Archived