MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

button mushrooms for immune system???

Cat

Note - this article is written as though the mushrooms are a help against "Swine Flu", but be aware that in *some* types of flu, a healthy immune system has been known to induce a "cytokine storm", in which the body turns on itself and causes the lungs to fill with fluid. (See the 1918 flu stories)

~~~~~~

Fight Swine Flu With Mushrooms

Friday, May 8, 2009 9:12 AM

By: Sylvia Booth Hubbard

The ordinary white button mushroom can help you beat the swine flu, researchers at Tufts University say. They have discovered that this lowly fungus, which for many years was thought to have no medicinal or nutritional value, in actuality gives our immune systems a big boost.

The Tufts study, published in The Journal of Nutrition, showed that grocery-store button mushrooms have as much anti-oxidant oomph as more exotic Asian mushrooms, long-prized for their ability to heal and to prevent disease. Common button mushrooms also contain polysaccharides and ergothioneine along with other substances that jump-start the immune system. Besides boosting immunity, the study showed they raise levels of cytokines, which are hormone-like proteins that help defend against viruses and tumors.

How many mushrooms are enough, and how should they be prepared? Holistic health counselor Margie King suggests one-half cup serving a day for full health benefits, and says you can add them to stews and soups or just put them in tossed salads.

Dietitian Glenn Cardwell calls mushrooms one of nature’s “true superfoods” and said, “While it is always tempting to reach for a quick fix vitamin or medical supplement, real food alternatives, such as the mushroom, are a healthier long term choice.”

http://www.newsmax.com/health/swine_flu_mu.../08/212299.html

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the latest research I have been reading at Infection Control Today indicates that it is not the cytokine storm that kills people. The cytokines are actually what usually HELPS kill the virus in the body. It is an immune response. The problem with the H1N1 and avian flus is that for some unknown reason, the cytokine receptors in the body shut down and cannot process the cytokines. There is a large amount of research being done on how to prevent this, possibly with drugs. There is, in fact, a race on among drug companies to figure out some chemical way to keep the cytokine receptors open--because you don't really want to suppress the cytokines. However, if receptors can't remain open, then you DO want to suppress them, and research is being done about what happens if you do, and if you do, can you turn them back on again after the illness is over, etc. There is hope that this research will help those with immune disorders or diseases also.

I am sorry I don't have a link. I read this stuff several weeks ago and don't always post everything to the board nor do I save it. I believe it was at the Infection Control Today site, though.

As to mushrooms...I wondered the same thing about the canned ones. -- haven't found an answer, though.

Dehydrated mushrooms would concentrate those elements that are good for immune function more likely that canning since the high heat kills off various things and burns up others, you think?

On the birch tree a kind of mushroom grows as well , called a chaga, or something like that. Its black and looks like a lightening wound, or close to it. Cut into chunks and dried out, it is used for medicine for immune needs, viruses and such, as well as cancer treatment. I read an article on it about 6 weeks ago and was entirely intrigued. It gives tremendous results.

It sounds to me that our smaller more traditionally consumed mushrooms have similar properties then, according to your findings, Judy.

I would just dehydrate and vaccuum seal them or seal in canning jars. One could store a tremendous amount of mushrooms if they were dehydrated, and I feel it would save the best nutrients in them in a better fashion than canned mushrooms. Just like dried herbs.

Archived