MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dehydrating noodles

can this be done? And if so, how do you store them? In the freezer? I'm making homemade noodles today and was wondering if I could make extra and dehydrate them. Thanks

can this be done? And if so, how do you store them? In the freezer? I'm making homemade noodles today and was wondering if I could make extra and dehydrate them. Thanks

This link will help you out :

http://www.indepthinfo.com/pasta/drying.htm

I don't dry mine much at all, since I bag them and freeze them. They are like fresh this way. Only takes a few minutes to cook. Don't thaw, just cook frozen.

My Amish relatives will make lots of noodles at one time. They'll take a flat bedsheet and spread it on a bed, then lay towels over that and dry a bunch of noodles at one time on the bed. The sheet protects the noodles and the bed, while the towels catch the extra flour and hold the noodles slightly "up" more. Of course, they go stir them around from time to time. And they DON'T have pets in the house!!

You can use the dehydrator, but in a dry house, or one with air conditioning, it's not really necessary.

:bighug2:

~~~~~~~

(Info from Violet's link. I'm finding these things can drop off the 'net after while, so I'm posting the info.)

Drying Homemade Pasta

For those who make a lot of homemade pasta, learning how to dry pasta for later can be a valuable bit of knowledge. It is important to learn the best methods for drying to ensure the homemade pasta stays nice and fresh and does not get moldy.

There are a couple of ways to dry pasta for later use. One of the simplest ways is to dust a countertop with flour and lay on the noodles. Then wait until they are very dry. Make certain that none of the homemade pasta is touching otherwise the noodles will stick together.

Keep in mind that homemade pasta is very thick or wide and will need to be turned over to ensure thorough and even drying. For thin noodles this will not be necessary.

A neater and more efficient method to dry pasta is to hang the noodles on something. This also conserves space and will allow you to dry more pasta at a time. There are many items over which pasta may be draped. Some items that can be used as a rack can be found in the average home.

Try putting a dusting of flour on a dishtowel and placing it on the back of a kitchen chair. Place the homemade pasta on the towel, and let it dry. Another method is to clean a broom handle and lay it between two chairs. Lay the homemade pasta on the handle of the broom, making sure that the noodles do not touch.

Many people recommend using a clothes-drying rack. This is a great solution that can help to dry pasta for later use. A clothes rack is high up off the floor, and offers a wide area for to lay noodles. Companies do make pasta racks specifically for those who want to dry pasta for later use. These racks are relatively inexpensive, and can go a long way to help dry pasta. For those who making a lot of homemade pasta, a pasta drying rack will be a great investment.

Another method used to dry pasta for later use is a bit trickier. For this method, lay homemade pasta in a nest shape, and allow to dry. It is essential to turn these nests over frequently so that mold does not form.

Drying time for pasta can vary widely depending on circumstances. Very thick and large homemade pasta will take quite a while to dry (hours to days). On the other hand, thin pasta should dry relatively quickly. Another factor to take into consideration is the location and climate of the area where the pasta is made. A humid area will require a longer drying time than a relatively dry climate.

Once the homemade pasta is completely dry (it is brittle and crisp), it can be stored in an airtight container. Homemade pasta now can be stored in a cupboard or other secure location. It will last this way for several months.

Eating pasta is a tradition that many people all over the world enjoy. Making homemade pasta and drying it is a way to make this activity even more valuable.

http://www.indepthinfo.com/pasta/drying.htm

Archived