MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preserving eggs?

RNs_girl

So my local grocery store has eggs for .49/dzn this week...a far cry from the usual 1.18/dzn. So I'd like to get a bunch.

But have no idea how to preserve them.

I know I can cook and freeze them, and I will do that with some, but I want to preserve some raw and uncooked for future use in cooking and baking.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much Cat. Found what I was looking for. :)

I will let ya'll know if the lard thing actually works for me...if it fails I will only be out about 3.00 but I can't pass up eggs at .49/dzn

Its worth a shot

To safely keep eggs, you should freeze them. I use salt in mine. You can't tell the difference in baked goods. You can also make scrambled eggs, omlets, etc.

Eggs

Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Freezing is often unnecessary, but it can be done.

Preparation – Select fresh eggs and break each separately into a clean saucer. Examine each for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs.

WHOLE EGGS — Thoroughly mix yolks and whites. Do not whip in air. To prevent graininess of the yolks, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup whole eggs, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve or colander to improve uniformity. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Another method of freezing a whole-egg mixture is to use ice trays. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each compartment of an ice tray. Freeze until solid. Remove frozen cubes, and package in moisture-vapor resistant containers. Seal and freeze. Three tablespoons of the egg mixture (one cube) equal one whole egg.

EGG YOLKS — Separate eggs. Stir yolks gently. To prevent graininess, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup of egg yolks, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. One tablespoon of the yolk mixture equals one egg yolk.

EGG WHITES — Gently mix whites; do not whip. Strain through a sieve. No sugar or salt is needed. Package, leaving ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Two tablespoons of the egg-white mixture equal one egg white.

Archived