MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Strawberry Rhubarb pie filling

Got a ton of rhubarb and we really like it in strawberry rhubarb pie filling. Does anyone have a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie filling? I have a ton of clear jel, I'm wondering if I can use that.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just can the rhubarb and make the filling later.

Last year I made the Ball Blue Book strawberry rhubarb jelly and it didn't gel so we used it for ice cream topping. It was so good, I'll be making that again.

Try this one and substitute the ClearJel® for the cornstarch, using 1-1/2 the amount to start and adjusting if necessary for the desired firmness:

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

2 c. diced fresh rhubarb stalks

3 c. diced fresh hulled strawberries

1 c. sugar, divided

1/2 c. packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 Tbsp fresh orange zest

1/4 c. cornstarch

very small pinch of salt

1 beaten egg

Directions:

-In large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, and 1/2 c. sugar.

-Toss to combine well and set into colander over sink or bowl and let drain for 1 hour (this step is very important or you get a soupy mess of a pie once it cooks.)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pie plate.

-Roll out 1/2 recipe of dough and line bottom of pie plate.

-In large clean bowl, combine strawberry and rhubarb that have been drained with remaining sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest, pinch of salt and cornstarch.

-Toss to combine well

This recipe sounded good to me.

Rubarb Conserve

8 cups rubarb

6 cups sugar

1 pound raisens

large can of crushed pinnapple

1 lemon sliced very thin (unpeeled)

Mix all together and let stand overnight

in the morning -cook until thick

add 2 cups coarsly chopped walnuts

Process in jelly jars.

with hot bread - this is just plain yum!!

And a link will lots of recipes using rubarb http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html

You won't be able to safely can the recipe with an egg in it. This is a cooking recipe for a pie filling, not a canning recipe.

I think Mom11 has the recipe for the pie filling. I can't remember where it is right now. I am getting ready to leave and don't have time to find it now. Will check back later.

You won't be able to safely can the recipe with an egg in it. This is a cooking recipe for a pie filling, not a canning recipe.

I think Mom11 has the recipe for the pie filling. I can't remember where it is right now. I am getting ready to leave and don't have time to find it now. Will check back later.

Thanks, Violet. I was going to just leave the egg out, but if Mom11 has a recipe, that would be better.

My apologies on that recipe with egg. Did not realize it was for canning so I just provided a regular cooking recipe. My boo boo.

That's OK, most of us here know not to can egg, so no worries. Probably no harm done. :)

Ok, found the recipe. I have been super busy, and sick on top of it all. So, finally... This is from Ball. Not written exactly as they have, but this is what is needed. No Clear Jel is used. Makes 5 pints.

If it had Clear Jel, then added bottled lemon juice would be needed. I don't have any other recipe yet for canning this variety of pie filling.

Strawberry Rhubarb pie filling

3 large apples peeled and finely chopped

1 T. orange zest

1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

7 cups sliced rhubarb ( 1 inch slices)

2 cups granulated sugar

4 cups halved hulled strawberries

Combine ingredients EXCEPT for strawberries, and bring to a boil over med. high heat. Stir constantly. Reduce heat, boil gently and stir frequently until rhubarb is tender. Add strawberries and return to a boil. Remove from heat. Ladle hot pie filling into jars, leave 1 inch headspace.

Process in BWB for 15 min.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived