MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Handy, Dandy Dandelion

Campy

I found this on another site. Hopefully it will be of some help.

I had no idea just how wonderful this little plant that grows on nearly every lawn really is... read on....

Dandelion roots act as an ani-viral and the funny thing is another name for dandelion is Swine's snout..lol This "weed" is a great source of vitamins A, B complex, C and D. It also is rich in iron zinc and potassium!

Most all parts of the dandelion plant are useful, first, uses for the leaves:

The leaves make a great diuretic and help rinse the kindneys.

Liver problems

swelling

upset stomach

boils

digestive problems

heartburn

the roots can be used for:

appetite stimulant

digestive aid

gall bladder and liver problems ( great for detox)

the flowers can be used to make wine and add flavor to a salad.( young tender leaves can be used for greens)

You can dry the leaves and roots use them this way or you can steep them into a tea...

These are just a few uses for this amazing little plant that most of us consider a pesky weed!

You are not wrong.

Both dandelions and milkweed should be avoided by those with sensitivity to latex. That milky sap from the stem is a type of latex.

I ate dandelion greens for the first time last month.

I steamed the greens, squeezed out the juice to remove the oxalic acid,( a substance that inhibits your body's ability to absorb the calcium in your food,) and added them to my omlette.

It was yummy! A little more bitter than kale, but hey, it's free, full of minerals and my early planting of kale was ravaged by little chicken feet!

I've heard somewhere lately, maybe here, that you can make wine with the fllowers. Just send the kids out to pick them and tell them to stay away from the dog-run!

Archived