MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Frozen Veg

As Dad's foot has gone up the spout again, I had a chance to do my own frozen veg. He had already cut the Carrots and Turnips up so it was just doing the cooking.

We put them in cold water, bring them to a boil, then a rolling boil for one minute. After this they go straight into cold water to cool down, packed into bags and chucked into the freezer.

The only problem I have is finding the space to put them in. :lol:

I dont have any freezer trays - to put them in flat, does anyone knw what they are called or where I can get them from.

No, sorry I can't help you.

I usually do all of the same that you did, but then after I take them out of the cold water, I drain them some and then I place the veggies on a cookie sheet and spread them out, and then put the cookie sheet into the freezer for a couple of hours until they're frozen. I then try to fill the bags while I have them laying flat and then that way they usually will lay flat for storage in the freezer. I find that freezing them on the cookie sheet first helps make them not stick together into one massive chunk. So then if I just want to use some of the bag for a soup, I'm not stuck with this big hunk of frozen something-or-other. ;)

When I fast freeze I use anything that has a flat bottom to hold one layer of the veggies, that will fit in the freezer, most of the times it is a baking dish, but anything will work. Once the veggies are frozen they can be put in a freezer/FoodSaver bag for permanent storage.

Blanching veggies only need to be added to already boiling water for a minute or two and then placed in ice water.

Archived