MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning beef for my first time

cowgirl8

Since my computer is in my kitchen and if there is anyone in here who is interested, i'm going to post step by step my first canning experience. I'm using these small jars because i only have small lids. These are new unused jars, well, except they've been in my attic for 20 years and i got them from my mother in law who i know hasnt canned for over 30 years. But as you can see, they have never been out of their original boxes. If anyone sees any reason to not use this jar, let me know.

post-6667-1244139119_thumb.jpg

The jars seem fine Cowgirl8. Dunno about the lids and rings but they're easily replaced (well they do cost money though).

Go for it, please post pics.

I'm interested.

Lol simultanious typing about the lids.

Ok, meat is cut up, now i'm trying to decide how to pack it, my book that came with the canner says i can raw pack and DO NOT ADD LIQUID. Or i can cook it. Hum...........If i raw pack, should i add garlic or anything? Will boulion work for liquid if i cook it first?

Cowgirl, here's what I do.

I put the beef chunks on the broiler pan and broil just a few minutes ( not to cook but to brown)

I put those and salt (1/2 tsp) in the jars and pour very hot water over the meat and salt leaving the 1/2 in space at the top of the jar

Make sure you wipe the rims of the jars with a clean damp cloth

Put on lids (centered)

Screw on rings (only finger tip tight)

Place in the Pressure Canner

If you'll look up above in this thread you'll see how Violet does a broth with the drippings in the pan.

I much rather do the with liquid (personal preference)

You should have 2-3" in the canner.

I just read Violet tell someone the other day that the water can come well up on the jars. You don't need to cover the jars , but at least half way.

Yooohoooo! Darlene, Cat, Westie, Violet, C4C and other Canner Extraordinaires!!! Jump in if I'm leading her astray!! :D

You are so welcome!! :hug3:

Remember -

It will seem to take FOREVER to build up to where some steam is being released. I usually keep a wooden spoon handy and every once in a while hold it above the canner to determine if the steam is going, sometimes you can't see it at first.

Once it is releasing steam, let it continue for 10 minutes.

AFTER that, you can let it begin to build up pressure....I'm assuming you have a weighted gauge??

When you are at the proper pressure (also seems to take forever) you begin timing according to the directions

Maintaining the proper pressure is VERY important for proper processing. Having a gas stove makes this a bit easier.

After the processing is complete, you turn off the fire and let it begin to cool down, just leave it alone for a while.

When it has cooled down some you can remove the weighted gauge and then after another while, you'll remove the lid.

Then you'll be so happy!! doing a happy dance!! :D

I just took a closer look at the picture of your jars. Do I read the box right? are those 12 oz jars? if so, they are not pints.

I think what you've got there are some jelly jars, with the pretty quilted pattern on the glass.

It's okay, you just won't have the pound of meat we discussed earlier. You should still go by the pint processing time. Sorry I didn't notice before, but, like I said, it's okay, just not a pint.

They're 12 oz. Oh, ok....i didnt have my glasses on when i looked at them..I hate that i have to have glasses now, one reason i got the canner i got, i could see me fumbling to read the darn pressure guage...

Its turned off and removed from the heat. I'll check it later although i want to open it now. I'm a little worried, i can smell meat cooking. I dont know if its left over smell from when i heated the meat, or maybe a jar broke open. Its not a strong smell, but i do smell something.... <_<

This is normal, smelling some of what has been 'cooked' while it is processing.

You may even see a bit of discoloration in the water in your canner, again, this is normal.

Can't wait for you to post the "ta-da!" pictures!! :D

I pressure canned chicken as my very first thing. I was concerned that I could smell it too. My canner also made a lot of a loud creaky noises while it was processing and I was just sure all my jars would be broken when I opened it.

Everything was fine :) The first time is stressful...lol

Archived