MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stock (Chicken, beef, etc)

Josephine

I make stock out of my veg peelings and pieces of chicken or beef or etc left over, but I'm wondering if I need to dilute it any before I can it. I don't know how strong it is supposed to taste, and I don't know if the "add enough water to cover" is enough water.

Any advice?

I'm confused by your statement of ""add enough water to cover" is enough water. Stock or broth is nothing but liquid, which should be strained and filtered as much as possible so it is absolutely clear. Are you thinking of canning all the peelings and meat too?

I think she means cover the peelings and meat to simmer for stock. I usually add more than that, so I get more yield from mine. I would say double the amount of water to veggie/meat mix. Then, simmer until it tastes good. Add some salt to mine. I like salt.

I'm confused by your statement of ""add enough water to cover" is enough water. Stock or broth is nothing but liquid, which should be strained and filtered as much as possible so it is absolutely clear. Are you thinking of canning all the peelings and meat too?

No, Violet is right, the instructions on "making stock" say to put the solids in a pot and add enough water to cover the solids. But I always look at the stock that had been strained and wonder if it's the right strength. Too weak? Too strong? I guess I should just taste the darn stuff... :D

Thanks all!

Archived