MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Why do I feel like a statistic?

"The worst hit U.S. state to date is Wisconsin, with 5,861 cases and four deaths, according to a CDC count updated Thursday. Texas is second, with 3,991 cases. This flu has killed least 170 Americans so far, a fraction of the estimated 35,000 who die each year from seasonal flu."

For 2 weeks now, we have been fighting this. I just kept telling my self that there was no way it could be happening to us. First, I got a bug. This little bug turned into a sinus infection and pneumonia (after10 days). I just lived with it and kept going - after all, isn't that what moms do?

Meanwhile, our youngest DS (16 mo) got it. That's when it started getting a little scary. Fevers bouncing all over the place - highest was 103.5. Since he can't tell us how he feels, it was hard. Had him to the doctor 3 times in a week and talked to the nurse just about everyday. At the end, once the fevers stopped, he developed an ear infection.Pleasant.

Meantime, our DS who is 13 started up. He was the hardest hit. Most miserable. Barely moved for 4 days.Had him to the doctor twice - and he was the one that wanted to go! He is finally moving around and functional. He also ended up with an eye infection and an ear infection toward the end here. He lost 4 pounds in 2.5 days.He wouldn't eat or anything (and eating is the thing he does most).

Then there was the princess (DD who is 4). She was in another state for most of this. The day before she got home she started with symptoms. She had 3 days of lower grade fevers, and never got even close to what the boys got. But she did end up with her very own eye infection also.

Finally, DH got it. Not bad at all - comparatively. He had a couple of days that were not so nice, but nothing severe. He has the never ending cough. Still did it many times through the night last night.

We all at some point had many, if not all, of the other symptoms also. Sore throat was a kicker for all of us. Fatigue, fevers, and the cough that still hasn't left for 3 of us.

So....

Both my doctor and the pediatrician told me the same thing. Here, where there are so many cases everyday, they are no longer testing unless you end up needing to be hospitalized, or they think it could be life threatening for you. I never asked for any of us to be tested, but they both stated that we are a prime example of what they have been seeing with the H1N1. We are probable cases.

Part of me is thankful that we may have possibly built a little resistance before the fall/winter. I am just so glad it is almost over. It is just dealing with the after effects now, and getting everybody rested and healthy.

Congratulations, my dear... You most likely have your ticket to the other side of the next couple of waves. :bouquet:

I'm sorry you went through it all, but most indications are that you'll now have some immunity even if it mutates quite a bit. Not that you still shouldn't prepare somewhat (c'mon, now, this is *MRS SURVIVAL*! LOL), but I've been mulling this over in my mind, too.

DS aged 24 will be working right in the every-school-feeds-into-it high school. DH works with sewage pumps and other nasty motors. DD will be in middle school with a very high concentration of students who sort of "raise themselves", if you know what I mean. The chances of getting anything coming down the pike is pretty high, even with precautions.

Glad everyone is on the mend...

:bighug2:

Thanks for explaining the variety of symptoms in detail, it will help the rest of us identify it better now. I am sorry you have been going through it like this! Total sick bay time! Yikes. I hope you all feel better very soon.

Archived