MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

need info, suggestions on grain mill

Hello, I don't comment too often, but you all have inspired me so much!! thanks to all!!

I need help with my selection of a grain mill. I have a two specifics I'm looking for:

1) I would like to grind a variety of grains and nuts in it

2) I would like to be able to use it with and without electricity

I have considered the family grain mill and the wonder Jr., any other suggestions? Does anyone have experience with either of these? I saw Stephanie had mentioned the Jr in another topic- what do you think Stephanie?

Thanks, in advance, for your expertise and advice!! :)

I have no expertise to share :) But, I can tell you that I searched and found a great comparison chart that helped me make up my mind. I'm bumping up the thread where we talked about choosing a grain grinder and here is the link to the chart.

I just couldn't get the link to copy, I'm sorry! Not sure what is wrong, but I did bump the thread for you. It's called, Grain Grinders, Comparing the Choices and in the Kitchen Heart of ourHome Forum.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

I have no expertise to share :) But, I can tell you that I searched and found a great comparison chart that helped me make up my mind. I'm bumping up the thread where we talked about choosing a grain grinder and here is the link to the chart.

I just couldn't get the link to copy, I'm sorry! Not sure what is wrong, but I did bump the thread for you. It's called, Grain Grinders, Comparing the Choices and in the Kitchen Heart of ourHome Forum.

Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

Thanks for the info Stephanie, I read over the thread you gave, it was so informative.

Do you consider your Jr. easy to crank? I am a bit of a weakling :huh:

The wonder mill jr can be used with electricity, BUT this voids your warranty. You also need to keep the rpms very slow when using a motor. I haven't had time to get mine set up, so I haven't used it yet. I also have the wonder mill electric, but it won't do nuts or oily seeds or wet grains.

I haven't used it yet! :blush:

I confessed this in my blog! :rolleyes:

I will!! but the right moment hasn't presented itself and well, I guess I'm procrastinating getting started. ;)

However I have 7 children, two of them very strong teenage boys and so...I'm counting on their help if it is hard to turn or perhaps grows hard after a while. I'm pretty strong myself so I'm not anticipating a problem. B)

I'm glad Trish pointed out that while you can put on a motor, it voids the warranty, that would be a definite negative.

NanaX2,

I have found the best solution to this problem to be the (unfortunately) more expensive one: buy an electric grinder for good times, and a hand-powered grinder for tough times.

I have a nutrimill that I adore, it grinds everything -- wheat, spelt, beans, rice, everything EXCEPT nuts (that would clog up the grinding apparatus and void your warranty). I plan on using it until TEOTWAWKI, at which point I am going to use the hand grinder that I am currently saving up to buy at my local food storage store. :)http://www.internet-grocer.net/family.htm That's a link that tells you about this mill. It sounds like a good one, and very reliable for times with no electricity.

It just seems like it's hard to find a mill that's reliable working both with and without electricity. Doing it this way, you'd get two reliable mills designed for two distinct modes of use...it's just going to require a little more investment. (a nice way of saying "Spend tha' money!!!" LOL)

Archived