MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing Milk?

Genoa

I am planning on ordering a 50-pound bag of powdered milk, as that's something I haven't stocked up on yet. I get an occasional box from the grocery store to experiment with using (mostly for cooking), but I think it's time to get more serious. Now I have to decide how to store it.

I have some small-to-medium sized mylar bags and an unopened pack of oxygen absorbers. Or I have enough 1/2 gallon jars that I could seal with my Pump-N-Seal and place in a cool, dark cupboard in the basement.

Would one of these options be better than the other? Or would you recommend something else?

Thanks.

I store mine in FoodSaver bags in small quantities, such as for making 2 quarts, so that excess powder is not exposed to the air when not needed. You could use Mylar bags and OAs but you don't have the convenience of use because you are storing in bulk.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Food-Safety-Iss...k-storage-1.htm

Research conducted in the 1980's showed that the freshness of the product could be maintained for at least 52 months when held in air-tight containers in the freezer.

-

http://positivelyprepared.blogspot.com/200...d-milk-101.html

Optimal storage life on nonfat dry milk stored at room temperature is three years before the milk begins to taste stale. However, when stored at cooler temperatures, it can be kept much longer. With this in mind you should either freeze your powdered milk, or buy it in the fall and rotate it yearly.

[Note this contradicts the information below, found further down the same page. Leah]

Milk develops off flavors as it ages. However, it still retains some nutritional value, and unless spoilage has occurred from moisture, insects, rodents, or contamination, it is still safe to use.

Shelf Life for optimum taste (although the milk will last much longer!)

Stored at:

40°F or below: 2 years

70°F or below: 1 year

90°F or below: 3 months.

-

Canned Nerd, I have some smaller mylar bags that would be suitable for small quantities. The larger bags could probably be opened and the excess amounts sealed in the 1/2 gallon jars until used. Maybe I should just put some in each and see if one seems better than the other. I'm a little nervous about the mylar bags, as I have never used them before---or the oxygen absorbers.

Leah, Interesting information. I can't keep the milk in the freezer, not enough room. However, I'm quite certain my basement doesnt get warmer than 70 degrees---it's very cool down there. So I should be good for a year anyway. I'll just have to be careful to actually use it.

Well... I posted information from sites that are trustworthy up above...

However... I have boxes stored in an old (nonworking) freezer in the garage. It stays there for two or three years before it gets used up. The color turns to a pale yellow when it gets old (because the added nutrients oxidize) but is still safe to consume.

We use it for cooking, or in hot cocoa.

I appreciate the responses. Now I'm considering one other possibility. I could get the same amount of dried milk in #10 cans and then I wouldn't have to repackage at all. It would cost an extra $30, but it might be worth it to ensure it is stored to last as long as possible.

Since I'm a little worried about using it all in a timely fashion, maybe that would be a better alternative?

Any thoughts?

I really wanted to buy the bulk (50-pound) bag of powdered milk, because I could buy it for a few cents per gallon less than I pay for fresh. Buying it in the #10 cans would cost about 25 cents per gallon more than I pay for fresh. Nevertheless, I'm persuaded that the #10 cans are a better choice for me at this time. Once I get a better idea how much I use over time, I can determine whether the 50-pound bag would be appropriate.

I ordered the milk in #10 cans last night, and am glad to have the decision made.

My husband just called and said that his hours at work may be cut by as much as 40 per cent, starting in August. I'm glad I got this ordered while we have the money. I suspect we'll be appreciating our large pantry more than ever.

Genoa, if you use milk for cooking and drinking on a regular basis, you could get the big bag for everyday use. You would probably have your milk needs covered for the next several months, and you can save the #10 cans for long term, future-emergency storage.

The 50 pounds could probably be stored well enough in good Tupperware-style containers or the gasketed Lock & Lock type containers to keep it fresh for use within the next several months to a year.

Archived