MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Using bail jars in pressure canners

I have a bunch of the old fashioned pint bail jars that I love to can jelly and jams in for gifts and also for doing candles, my question is, can you pressure can these jars?

I did try googling, but didn't come up with much, but I am guessing that one couldn't or shouldn't.

I have never owned a pressure cooker/canner and leary of getting one to use, but times are a changing and I may have to learn to pressure can meats and veggies.

I have,however, been doing a lot of drying with the few things that are growing here. The ONLY good thing I can say about these 105 plus temps in our part of the country, even tomatoes dry quickly! B)

I have a bunch of those old jars as well. I hate to get rid of them because my Grandma and great-grandma used them, so I store dry thing in them like beans, rice, pasta, etc.

For the tighter-fitting ones, I'll also store dehydrated items in there like corn, peas, celery, carrots, etc.

I'm sorry to tell you that they're just not safe for any other use. The glass is so old that it would crack if you put a candle in it. I do know this for fact. I tried it - with soy, paraffin, palm wax, and a special jar blend. The flame just gets too hot.

So, keep them, love them, but use them for 'dry' things. :)

Archived