MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Potatoes

Virginia

Just put in 3/4 tsp. or so in each pint. I may have used only 1/2 tsp., I can't remember.

I think 1/2 tsp. should be sufficient. Just can as per the BBB or USDA guidelines, only add the pickle crisp to the bottom of each jar. I put it in the bottom and then salt before I fill them up. Then be sure to use fresh boiling water in each jar.

Thanks for the quick reply. I assume the name of the product is Pickle Crisp, and not just pickling lime. I have some Kerr Extra Crisp Pickling Lime from last year???

Oh no. Not lime ! It is caustic . Really, it is wicked stuff. If lime is used, it is a presoak thing for pickles. Then, it has to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed to get rid of it. It can lower the acid level so much in pickles if not rinsed totally that the pickles can become unsafe.

It is Pickle Crisp you want , but you will most likely not find it anymore in the stores. You order calcium chloride for food online. Usually from Bulk Foods. I think Crazy got hers from some wine making place here, though. You can check wine making shops and see if they have any.

Ball lost their supplier of calcium chloride.

Archived