MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Syrup making recipes

2 1/4 cups of sugar = 1 pound. I paid 4.56 per 10 pounds today. I haven't priced syrup lately since I never buy it. No point in buying what I can make cheaper.

Simple syrup is 1 cup sugar to 1 cup water. Boil for 5 minutes. Add flavoring. You can add a little molasses to taste for a real easy syrup. You can add any soft fruit and boil in the syrup. Strain out the fruit or just mash it up in the syrup. You can add bitter cocoa powder, but mix it with the sugar before adding water. Make it in any quantity you like. Pour the boiling syrup into hot, sterile jars or bottles and cap. You don't really need to make a lot ahead, just what the family will use in a reasonable period.

Here is a recipe for caramel flavored syrup:

http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Caramel_Syrup_Recipe_2

It is basically a simple syrup but you brown the sugar before adding water.

Y'all have any favorites?

My favorite 'syrup' is when a jam I am canning does not gel.

My other is this one:

Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup

2 Cups water

1 cup sugar

2 cups dark corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon maple flavoring

Boil the water, sugar, syrup and salt over medium heat for 6-7 minutes:

Cool & add the maple flavoring.

NOTES : Variations:

Add 3 Tbsp. of butter prior to heating for Butter Flavored AJ

Brilliant, will make this as supply for the winter ahead. Thank you for posting.

I use this all the time with great results.

Syrups made from blackberries, huckleberries, raspberries, boysenberries, loganberries, sour cherries, and Island Belle grapes as well as mixtures of berries are of good flavor, color, and consistency (thin like maple syrup, medium thick like corn syrup, or slightly jelled). Syrups can be made with or without pectin and lemon juice. Lemon juice may improve color. Use of pectin will vary consistency.

To Prepare Fruit Puree:

Sort, stem, and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly; measure crushed fruit. Add 1 cup boiling water to each 4 cups crushed fruit and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to soften--about 5 for soft fruits...about 10 minutes for firm fruits like cherries and grapes. Press through sieve.

SYRUPS MADE WITH PUREE

4 cups puree

4 cups sugar

1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

3 or 4 Tbsp lemon juice (if desired)

1. Mix puree, sugar, pectin and lemon juice.

2. Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes (boil till jelly thermometer reaches 218F).

3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top.

4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

5. Remove from canner and cool.

6. Check lids, label, and store in cool, dry place.

To Prepare Fruit Juice:

Sort, stem and wash ripe fruit or thaw frozen, unsweetened fruit; crush fruit thoroughly. Place crushed fruit in dampened jelly bag and drain. For clearest juice, do not press bag to extract juice. For firm fruits, heat is needed to start flow of juice. Add about 1/2 cup water to each 3 cups crushed fruit. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Place hot fruit in dampened jelly bag; drain.

SYRUPS MADE WITH JUICE

4 cups juice

4 cups sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice (if desired)

1/2 package or less powdered pectin (if desired)

1. Mix juice, sugar, lemon juice and pectin.

2. Bring to boil and boil 2 minutes.

3. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and pour into 1/2 pint or 1 pint canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top.

4. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

5. Remove from canner and let cool.

6. Check lids, labels, and store in cool, dry place.

Archived