MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

FoodSaver 420 question

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Last weekend I found a new Foodsaver 420 for $9 at a thrift store. I love vacuum sealing goods in jars. Now for my problem. The draw on the Foodsaver is so strong that I have to either (1) wrestle with it to remove it from the top of the jar or (2) disconnect the hose to lessen the amount of draw so I can remove it from the top of the jar. Any suggestions so I can stop fighting with this thing???

Thanks y’all,

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Last weekend I found a new Foodsaver 420 for $9 at a thrift store. I love vacuum sealing goods in jars. Now for my problem. The draw on the Foodsaver is so strong that I have to either (1) wrestle with it to remove it from the top of the jar or (2) disconnect the hose to lessen the amount of draw so I can remove it from the top of the jar. Any suggestions so I can stop fighting with this thing???

Thanks y’all,

YYY

Mine does that too. I just gently and evenly lift around the sides till it comes off.

I have a 2480 and have to disconnet the hose from the machine before I take it off of the jar. I have found that sometimes it depends if I'm using an older jar, the sealer will get stuck. On the other hand I have gone through several jars before I find one that will seal.

:wormie2:

John

How about adding a relief valve to the system?

Lee's Aquarium Airline Control Kit

I'm not sure if these would fit your vacuum line or not. If so, you could add one regular T between the food sealer and the lid attachment. Off of that T, add a short hose with an on-off valve at the end. Would this would give you the ability to break the vacuum after the lid is sealed?

Note: I have not tried this yet. It's on my to-do list, but way down towards the bottom...

I just remove the hose from the top of the jar attachment, then take off the attachment. This way, I don't wrestle with stuff unnecessarily. It works for me. :)

Archived