MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Blueberry Pie Filling

Jori

Blueberry Pie Filling (USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning)

1 Quart 7 Quarts

Blueberries, fresh or thawed 3 1/2 cups 6 quarts

Granulated sugar 3/4 cup + 2T 6 cups

Clear Jel 1/4 cup + 1T 2 1/4 cups

Cold water 1 cup 7 cups

Bottled lemon juice 3 1/2 t 1/2 cup

Blue food coloring (optional) 3 drops 20 drops

Red food coloring (optional) 1 drop 7 drops

Wash & drain fresh blueberries. For fresh fruit, place 6 cups at a time in 1 gallon of boiling water. Boil each batch 1 minute after the water returns to a boil. Drain but keep heated fruit in a covered bowl or pot. Combine sugar and Clear Jel in a large kettle. Stir. Add water and, if desired, food coloring. Cook on medium high heat until mixture thickens & begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Fold in drained berries immediately and fill jars with mixture without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately in water bath canner.

Recommended process time for blueberry Pie Filling in a WBC:

Hot pack

Pints or Quarts

0-1000 ft 30 minutes

1001-3000 ft 35 minutes

3001-6000 ft 40 minutes

Above 6000 ft 45 minutes

My question, where can you find clear jel? Can you use Sure Gel, if you can't find it?

I get mine in 2# packages from eBay sellers that deal with the Amish who make it. Its also available on many places on the Internet when you do a search. Not very common in local stores, but Whole Foods and health food store may carry smaller quantities.

There are two types, regular and instant, which cannot be interchanged. I keep both on hand.

No one has answered your question about Sure jel. No, it is pectin, it is for jam. Not at all the same thing.

Clear Jel is a special modified cornstarch, safe for home canning of pie fillings. No other thickener is safe to use in pie fillings canned at home.

You order it online. I got some from www.barryfarm.com .

Also, a few extension offices sell it. Wilco here has it, which is a feed type store. A few cake decor stores have it , too.

Yes, the Amish stores normally will have it, as well. I don't live near anything like that.

Thanks for all of the help! I kind of figured out it was a thickening substitute (flour, etc) just from what we had found on the internet. But that's all I could figure out. MIL thought it would be okay to use sure gel or flour. I knew the flour was a no but wanted to check about the sure gel.

Indy - we have an Amish outlet up here???? WHERE???? I'm in the NW corner of the state.

Thanks again for all of the help.

The Amish outlet store is in Shipshewanna In. Its just south of town on the east side of the street-just a little ways down from Yoders on the west side.

Thanks! Wonderful! I feel a trip coming on.

Archived