MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dried or fresh dill weed in pickles?

Shandy

You can use dried, Violet does. I MUCH prefer fresh, it tastes so much better. I would actually drive across town for some if I couldn't get it locally.

The thing with dried dill is that it sticks to the pickle. I find this annoying and over-powering at times.

When I made dill relish, I used dill seed. The recipe called for some and I had just a little bit left, so I tossed in the rest.

Maybe you could try tossing in a tablespoon or so in your brine as you heat it up, so you get the flavor without the head of dill in the jar.

When I made relish, they called for something like 2 tablespoons of dill seed. You can add your own dried spices as long as you don't go overboard. :) A gentleman in our canning class early this summer added so much dill, it was unreal. He added like a tablespoon to a PINT of green beans. They were supposed to be dilled beans, but not literally pickled dill with beans. :lol:

National Center for Home Food Preservation:

I don't have the type of dill my recipe calls for. How can I substitute what I have?

For each quart try 3 heads of fresh dill or 1 to 2 tablespoons dill seed (dill weed = 2T).

I use dried dill weed in some. I used dried seed in some. I like the dill weed flavor. It does look messy, but that is my flavor choice. I did use fresh in some. It is all a matter of personal taste or what you have on hand.

Hope this answers your question and helps you out.

Any 'rehydration' would occur in the jar of liquid and when heat, which is little to none for dill weed.

I understand that but the comment was about the dill sticking to the pickles. i was wondering if the dill perhaps would not stick to the pickles if it was rehydrated separately.

Archived