MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

H1N1 'Poses Serious Threat' To Nation

CoM

http://wcbstv.com/health/h1n1.swine.flu.2.1142469.html

White House Report Says Virus Likely To Infect More People Than Usual, Doctors' Offices & Hospitals Could Be 'Filled To Capacity'

With schools set to open again in coming weeks and flu season just around the corner, the White House released the findings of a new report Monday on the H1N1 virus, saying the current strain "poses a serious health threat to the nation."

According to the report, officials don't believe the strain will turn into a deadly flu pandemic similar to the one in 1918-19, but that it could infect more people than usual because many people are not immune to it. It estimated that 1.8 million people could be hospitalized from the infection.

"This could mean that doctors' offices and hospitals may get filled to capacity," the report says.

Though it's impossible to predict how many people will be infected this winter, the report says it's "plausible" that 30 to 50 percent of the American population could have the virus, which could cause between 30,000 and 90,000 deaths.

If these numbers hold true, the report says anywhere from 50 to 100 percent of beds in intensive care units in hospitals could be filled with patients.

"As the nation prepares for what could be a challenging fall, it is crucial that our public health decisions are informed by the very best scientific and technological information," said John P. Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology and a co-chair of PCAST.

Click here to read the entire report.

As the government takes steps to counter a delay in the arrival of swine flu vaccines, schools in our area are making sure they're prepared.

The West New York school district and many other districts in the tri-state area are preparing for a swine flu outbreak. The high school has sick rooms and they're making sure students know how the prevent this virus from spreading.

"We are constantly teaching, especially in the elementary school level the teachers are now, it's part of their plan to teach hand cleanliness," said John Fauta, assistant superintendent.

Fauta said they're speeding up normal everyday clean ups at schools and making sure they have more than enough hand sanitizers.

The swine flu outbreak started in a parochial school in Queens last spring. Before it was over, close to a million people got sick around the nation, and 47 people died from it.

Many schools quickly shut down when a case was confirmed.

On Long Island Tuesday, Suffolk County officials met at a flu summit to discuss measure in the event of an outbreak.

"A seasonal flu vaccine should be ready by the end of August, early September, and everyone in the public can go ahead and get that. And shortly thereafter, a month and a half or so, we will begin to have doses for the H1N1 vaccine," said Dr. Michelle Davis, deputy regional director of the Health and Human Services Department.

As for vaccines, health officials had predicted they would have 120 million vaccines on hand, but now expects just 45 million.

We have anywhere from 22 to 35 cases that are confirmed in our school district. I have yet to hear anything from the "higher ups" about the issue at all. You would think that they would have mentioned it during our planning week before school started. Not one mention of it at any meetings at all. We have tons of sick kids....

Today i had to take my little boy in and i just knew he had Swine...only to find out that he has a very bad case of pneumonia. It is a very solid mass as well. He complained of a soar throat Sat night late...sick all day yesterday and whamoo....bad case of pneumonia today. I saw the xrays and I can't believe he got so bad so quick. From what I understand there are many kids with this as well. i have a feeling that by Oct we could have a mess.

ANM, I am so sorry to hear about your precious boy. Pneumonia is HORRID when you're a grown-up -- I had it last August -- and I can't imagine having solid-mass pneu. as a little one. Please know he'll be in my family's prayers, and update us on his condition when you have a chance. Hugs to you and your family, hon.

Archived