MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fruit Pie

We have been blessed with far more Blackberries than we've ever been able to pick Before. (guess all that ra*n has been good for something ! :lol: )

I would like to attempt mixing some of the various fruits in a pie. I'm thinking it could stretch some of the berries a bit further.

Would anyone here know the quantities of the various berries in Fruit of the Forest ?

Would anyone here have a favorite Mixed Berry type pie recipe they would like to share ?

Thank You. Mea.

I'm sorry, Mea... I figured someone more knowledgeable about this would've answered by now. :(

I think I would just do it to taste... try it and see. I would think it kind of depends on how much flavor there is in the berries, too.

I've heard of mixing apples and blackberries together, too... the blander apples taste good with them.

:bighug2:

This is not a pie, but it is my favorite way to eat fresh berries in season. The recipe is from Cooks Illustrated.

I like it with just blackberries the best, but YMMV.

Fresh Berry Gratin

Serves 4 to 6. Published May 1, 2000.

Though a mixture of berries offers a wonderful combination of color, flavor, and texture, it’s also fine to use just one or two types of berries. One-half pint of fresh berries equals about one cup of fruit. Later in the season, ripe, peeled peach or nectarine slices can be used in combination with blueberries or raspberries. We recommend using only fresh fruit, but if you must use frozen, raspberries are the best option. Do not thaw them before baking. Avoid using a metal pie pan that may react with the acidity of the fruit and impart an “off” metallic flavor. Serve the fruit gratin with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Ingredients

Fruit Mixture

4 cups berries e.g. raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, (hulled and left whole if small, halved lengthwise if medium, quartered lengthwise if large)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 tablespoon Kirsch (optional) or other eau de vie

Pinch table salt

Topping

3 slices white sandwich bread , each slice torn into quarters

2 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar or dark brown sugar

Pinch ground cinnamon

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss fruit gently with sugar, kirsch (if using), and salt in medium nonreactive bowl and transfer to 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan.

2. Pulse bread, butter, sugar, and cinnamon in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over fruit and bake until crumbs are deep golden brown and fruit is hot, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minut

I'm sorry, Mea... I figured someone more knowledgeable about this would've answered by now. :(

I think I would just do it to taste... try it and see. I would think it kind of depends on how much flavor there is in the berries, too.

I've heard of mixing apples and blackberries together, too... the blander apples taste good with them.

:bighug2:

I actually figured that different areas of these US, might call it something else....and perhaps no-body knew what i was talking about. (happens a lot to me. :D )

I know there is a pie called "bumbleberry pie". I don't have a recipe myself but I know it has apples, rhubarb, blackberries and a couple other things.

Sounds quite close to what i had finally Googled (and googled and googled) and came up with. I believe it has blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, rhubarb and apples. Might not *sound* good....but it is Yummy !!

( and i will not take it to Darlene's party in RYRR forum !!! lol.)

This is not a pie, but it is my favorite way to eat fresh berries in season. The recipe is from Cooks Illustrated.

I like it with just blackberries the best, but YMMV.

Fresh Berry Gratin

Serves 4 to 6. Published May 1, 2000.

Though a mixture of berries offers a wonderful combination of color, flavor, and texture, it's also fine to use just one or two types of berries. One-half pint of fresh berries equals about one cup of fruit. Later in the season, ripe, peeled peach or nectarine slices can be used in combination with blueberries or raspberries. We recommend using only fresh fruit, but if you must use frozen, raspberries are the best option. Do not thaw them before baking. Avoid using a metal pie pan that may react with the acidity of the fruit and impart an "off" metallic flavor. Serve the fruit gratin with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Ingredients

Fruit Mixture

4 cups berries e.g. raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, (hulled and left whole if small, halved lengthwise if medium, quartered lengthwise if large)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 tablespoon Kirsch (optional) or other eau de vie

Pinch table salt

Topping

3 slices white sandwich bread , each slice torn into quarters

2 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar or dark brown sugar

Pinch ground cinnamon

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss fruit gently with sugar, kirsch (if using), and salt in medium nonreactive bowl and transfer to 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan.

2. Pulse bread, butter, sugar, and cinnamon in bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about ten 1-second pulses. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over fruit and bake until crumbs are deep golden brown and fruit is hot, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minut

Sounds Good !!! May i copy and paste this to my computer ??? Mea.

I don't see why you couldn't. Is it that you are not sure how to copy and paste or because it's from Cook's? I am NOT an expert on copyright laws, but I thought if you gave credit to the source you can. It's in one of their magazines.

Susan

Archived