MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing Tomato Paste?

Shandy

I want to start buying those #10 can's of tomato paste, but I obviously can't use it all at once. Even with canning large recipes, there's still tomato paste left for another day.

I have lots of uses for it. So I'm wondering what would be the best way to freeze it for easy use later?

The only thing I've come up with is freezing it in 1 cup globs on an oiled cookie sheet, then putting the blobs in a gallon freezer bag. Anyone have a less messy and more efficient way to do it?

Oh! Can I freeze it in pint or half pint jars?

Sure, jars work great. I have a bunch lined up in mine with tomato sauce. I took my muffin tins, lined with plastic wrap, just like I do when I freeze eggs. Put in half a cup of tomato paste, froze, then took out the "muffins" and put in ziploc bags. I also took cookie sheets and did 1 T. little dollops, froze and put into ziploc bags for smaller amounts.

Baggies would work, too, but I am cheap and so I used the plastic wrap, which is cheaper to use. I need my little canning jars for the beets I am planning on doing.

I just put rounded tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet covered in saran and freeze. I then 'roll' them up and put them into a zippie bag. I pick out what I need when I need it. Ta da! :bouquet:

Archived