MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rubber ring expanded

Christy

Question though, last night the rubber ring inside he cannerlid was too big after the first batch. The green beans were fine, presure was good, perfect seal etc.

Had to take the lid off, ring out and let it cool overnight. In the morning it fits again and I could use the canner. Last night all it did was vent steam where the rubber had gotten too big.

Anyone have that happening as well?

Well, here's a few questions...

1. How long have you had the canner gasket? It may very well need to be replaced.

2. Was the lid on completely tight and the seal in the right place on the lid? If it wasn't, that could account for some of the venting.

Hope this helps a bit.

Well, it's a pressure canner someone has kindly send me. It's an oldy with one of the handles replaced by a nicely carved wooden handle. It seals well when the rubber gasket is NOT expanded from the heat.

The pressure meter always goes to 15 pounds, no matter what is in it or how long it cooks. So I just listen for the jiggle of the weight.

First let it vent 10 minutes, then place weight and when it jiggles the pressure time begins right?

So far I am over the moon with this and finally picking up courage to do more with it.

You need a new gasket. That is not a weight if the canner has a dial gauge. That is a counterweight and only meant to hold the pressure in. Not to be used to regulate the pressure. If it has a dial, that is a whole other set up.... the gauge needs to be tested for accuracy before use each year and then used, not the counterweight.

Technically, it should jiggle at 15 lb. but that is not the idea of that kind of canner. The pressure can still rise above the 15 lb. and allow the overpressure plug to blow. You have no idea if that gauge is accurate unless you have had it tested. How will you know if it is in the "danger" zone ? I want you to be safe.

Big gulp.... Now I'm scared to use it....

No the dial gauge is not tested, wouldn't know how to do this in this part of the world. I did notice the little rubber ring and pin in the middle seem to stand up all the time though. even when the canner is not on the gas I mean.

Oh dear, now I don't know what to do.

The dial gauge MUST be tested. If there is not an Extension nearby you can contact, contact the manufacturer to send the gauge to them for testing. At the same time you can order a replacement gasket.

CN, I'm in Europe....

Just checked at www.gopresto.com and other sites. Presto delivers only in the USA and Canada.

Hmm will have to think about this one.

CN, this particular on-line store won't do it. I've talked to them and they lose money every time on the currency exchange.

Christy will get taken care of though, no worries. :)

CN, this particular on-line store won't do it. I've talked to them and they lose money every time on the currency exchange.

Christy will get taken care of though, no worries. :)

Oh rats, yesterday was such a rotten day. And seeing this sweet heartwarming answer, I well up again.

Scuse me while I find a hanky cos I'm beginning to cry now.

Sorry, meds mess up my head lately.

C

sniff...

When you get the new gasket, you should also get the new overpressure plug.

As for the gauge, there is no way to get a new one and know it is correct. I would say test one and send it , Crazy, but it could get bumped and off during shipping. So, I suppose the best thing is to keep using the counterweight and let it jiggle the whole time. The food may be overprocessed a bit, but better safe than sorry.

If it is that old of a canner, I don't think it can be fitted to be a weighted gauge canner due to the vent pipe being the wrong size.

I tried to see about retrofitting one of the old ones, but had not success.

Archived