MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Something I don't know about canning...

bluegrassmom

Hi ladies ~~

I've done my fair share of canning, both pressure canning and water bath. But mostly pressure as I like to can meats and stews. I usually do just about 7 jars at a time. But how do I stack them? Two rows on top of each other? Isn't there something I'm supposed to ahve between them? I have the little flat rack with holes that goes on the bottom ~ but I need that on the bottom don't I? I can't sit the cans straight on the bottom of the canner. Do I need another one of those to go on top of the first row and then place the second row on top of that? Help... :mellow:

You need another rack of some sort between layers. I got some nice ones from the thrift store for 99 cents. They are heavy wire racks for a little bbq grill. They don't have to be the same as the bottom rack. You can order extra ones like that, though.

Then, even with a rack, never sit one jar directly over or on top of the other one. You stagger them. Put one in the center of the lower 2 jars. I hope that makes sense.

This is for proper heat and steam flow. If you put one on top of the other, the ones below can't vent out right to get the vacuum seal.

Ok, then. I didn't know this either. My instruction manual with the PC didn't tell me this. I have done some vegetables stacked catty cornered on the bottom ones. Are these going to be safe to eat? I'm taking about 4 bushels of stuff here.

Archived