MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ideas on different types of stoves to use for canning?

Teaberry

I have a smooth top stove. It's newer so theoretically I can use it for canning if the canner has a flat bottom and if the canner protrudes no more than a half inch from the burner's edge. Older smooth top stove surfaces can crack if you can on them.

The problem is that the typical stove burner is 10 inches wide. My water bath canners are 12 inches wide, so I can't use them. My canner also has a ridged bottom making it unusable on my stove.

Has anyone here successfully used an electric burner for canning? I contacted my extension agent and she said they're not designed for canning.

I know that some people use propane burners, but I think you could only do that if you're outdoors. I want to be inside my kitchen so I can do other things while I can.

Does anyone here do canning on an electric or propane burner? Does it work well for you?

I have a smooth top stove. It's newer so theoretically I can use it for canning if the canner has a flat bottom and if the canner protrudes no more than a half inch from the burner's edge. Older smooth top stove surfaces can crack if you can on them.

The problem is that the typical stove burner is 10 inches wide. My water bath canners are 12 inches wide, so I can't use them. My canner also has a ridged bottom making it unusable on my stove.

Has anyone here successfully used an electric burner for canning? I contacted my extension agent and she said they're not designed for canning.

I know that some people use propane burners, but I think you could only do that if you're outdoors. I want to be inside my kitchen so I can do other things while I can.

Does anyone here do canning on an electric or propane burner? Does it work well for you?

I use a Presto canner. I bought it specifically because it is the only pressure canner I found that was suitable for smooth/ceramic cook-tops. The part that makes contact with the stove fits within the largest burner circle. I also use it for water bath canning. It works great!

That is what we tell people, too, get the Presto as it says on the box they can be used on a flat top stove as long as the manuf. say it is Ok to can on your brand and model. I would check into the Presto first and see if you can use one. The stores here are all having them on sale now. Just saw one today on sale.

Most of the electric burners are not nearly sturdy enough or have enought watts to use to can on.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I do have a Presto and it extends an inch past the burner edge, but the flat part fits the burner just right. So that may work! :) Theoretically, if the flat part of the canner extends past the burner on a smooth-top stove, then the pan will radiate heat back into the glass top of the stove and cause it to crack.

Cricket, you said you use your Presto pressure canner to also do water bath canning. Do you have a special water bath canner rack to put inside it?

I've noticed in my Ball book that pressure canners have flat racks that just sit on the bottom of the pot, while water bath canners have different racks that hold the jars apart from one another. Which type of rack do you use in your Presto pressure canner when you use the water bath method?

I do the same thing as Violet. I don't like the racks that hold the jars apart, you can actually fit more pints in without the separating type of rack. Just remember that you can't really shove them in there. They do need a little wiggle room. :)

Archived