MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Well *that* expiration date got away from me...

I was recently suffering with a bit of a sore throat. I always keep some pineapple juice on hand in the pantry for just such an occasion. So I got my pineapple juice out, opened it, added some ice and drank it. It was good. I realized this morning that I still had half the can in the fridge so I got it out to finish it so it would not be wasted. It tasted just a tad metallic this morning but I figured, hey that's to be expected from sitting in a metal can in the fridge right? Made a mental note to pour it all into a glass pitcher next time I open some up. So a little while ago I go back into the kitchen for my second glass of the day, look down and :o . Expiration date was Nov. of 2008!!!

Oh my goodness **how** did that not get noticed?! I'm usually very good with rotation and expiration dates but I guess that one container of pineapple juice fell through the cracks. And fell through so well that I drank almost the whole can before I realized!

Bleck. I really hope I'm not the only one whose ever grossed themselves out in this manner...

Pineapple juice stays good for long past the expiration date. I consumed some a year ago that was dated 1997, so it would have been just over 10 years old.

It was fine. So was I. :D

Yah, storing in the original metal container, once opened, is not recommended for obvious reasons. I went down that road too many times so I have a habit now of pouring remains in to a glass or plastic container for the refrigerator.

I still haven't learned with Evaporated Milk however.

Archived