MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cranberry sauce

MommaDogs

HELP!

I was able to buy some awesome cranberries from a roadside stand and I figured I would can them... not many appealing recipes in the book for them. I wanted to make my whole berry cranberry sauce since all the recipes are plain sounding - but I use orange juice. Can I substitute orange juice for water in the recipe? (getting it from the complete book of home preserving)

• 4 weeks later...

I made one for our family this year, soaking a half cup of dried apricots in OJ overnight then making cranberry sauce from it. It turned out fabulous and we ate it with both the ham and the turkey. I made 3 jars worth. (We celebrated early this year on last Sunday because the whole family was in town.)

Um--you soaked apricots in orange juice and then made cranberry sauce out of it??? I guess, I am dense but how do you make cranberry sauce out of apricots soaked in orange juice?

Sorry, should have been specific, I know it is hard to read my mind over the computer...lol...

1 C dried Apricots

1/2 C OJ

4 tsp cooking sherry

1 1/2 C water

1 1/3 C honey

24 oz cranberries

2 sticks cinnamon

4 cloves

1- cut apricots in half, cover with Sherry and refrigerate over night

2-combine water/sugar/cinnamon/cloves in saucepan and boil

3-Add Apricot mixture/honey/cranberries cook for 10 minutes over medium heat

4-remove from heat, remove cinnamon sticks and hot water can for 15 minutes then let jars stand 5 minutes before removing from pot.

It goes really well with both turkey and pork! My DH is enjoying it on sandwiches......

Archived