MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BPA on canning lids

ChristyK

I read an article in an organic gardening magazine thatmade a great bid deal about how Ball, Kerr and a couple of other companies use BPA ( Bisphenol A ) in the stuff they coat the inside of their canning jar lids. I hadn't realized this before :( ... but since the article seemed to be really ramping up & praiseing a certian companies glass lids and special hars, I figured I'd better check inot it before I freaked out too badly. :)

I found this on FreshPreserving.com

Ball and Kerr Home Canning Lids...

Jarden Home Brands manufacturer of home canning lids: Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest, and Bernardin brands follow the same rigorous FDA standards used by the commercial food packaging industry. Like the majority of commercial food packagers using glass jars with metal closures and metal sanitary cans, the coating on our home canning lids is designed to protect the metal from reacting with the food it contains. A small amount of Bisphenol A is present in the coating. The FDA does not limit Bisphenol A in commercially packaged foods, and is aligned with the international scientific community’s position that a small amount of Bisphenol A in contact with “canned foods” is not a health concern for the general public.

Has anyone got any better, unbiased information? Almost everything I'm finding by 'Googling' is suspect, put out by someone with an obvious axe to grind/dog in the fight. I was hoping one of the knowledgeable & helpful folks here might have already looked into it.

The food doesn't touch the lids in the jars. That is minimal compared to a can of food from the store. Their whole cans are lined inside with it. Besides, you have not a clue what they put in those cans. They can have a certain amount of rat droppings, rat hair, bugs, you name it. Do you put that in your jars ?

I feel the risk of a little jar lid far less than store bought foods.

We breathe much worse than any toxin you would get from a jar lid. I say relax.

You can't be sure those jars with the glass lids and rubber rings are even sealed. They are expensive, too.

We do not recommend using those types of jars.

Thank you for the input! :bouquet:

I've never actually used any of those glass lids with the gaskets. I do have a couple of older jars like that, though, with the clasps; I use only use them for 'decoration' ~ to occasionally put candy in at Christmas time.

Archived