MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Butter mold

MommaDogs

Did not know where to put this, but hoping some food experts can help. I just found about 10 pounds of butter that I made that I thought I had frozen (hard when you're going through dozens of gallons of cream to keep up, and I guess it got forgotten) - It seems to be OK, we ate some in a white sauce, but it smells like blue cheese, and one of the balls has blue mold in it, looks just like blue cheese also. I washed the lesser (more mild tasting) affected butter and froze it in bags labeled "for cooking only."

This other ball has the blue mold wherever the air pockets are. Is it possible that I can wash it, boil, and still use? Or did I waste it all?

I'm no expert. Since I have no idea what the mold is, I'd toss it.

Was it salted? According to this study ( http://jds.fass.org/cgi/reprint/17/5/397.pdf )

"In these studies, unsalted butter was employed as the substrate inasmuch as the experimental evidence indicates that it is much more favorable for mold growth than salted butter."

-

Lots more information on the pdf.

Sorry, but you need to throw it out. Mold is not harmless, it can contain mycotoxins that cause certain kinds of cancers. Plus, it can cause intestinal problems. I would not risk getting food poisoning over it. The mold you see is just the tip of the iceberg, the whole thing has mold growing in it. It sends out little roots all over. Please, do not try to salvage this.

Archived