MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bread and temperature--HELP!

Argh! Somebody just told me his Grandma used to let dough rise on the hot water heater. Why didn't I think of that? Too easy, I guess.

We usually look for a warm spot for dough to rise. That could be near a radiator of the central heating, on top of the TV (no flatscreen of course B) ) , top of the fridge near the back produces a fair amount of warmth as well.

Once we had a film-on-demand free for 6 months as a trail thingie. The digital decoder that came with it produced a LOT of heat. Needles to say our dough did very well in those 6 months :D

My bread is funny looking, but,Ii will eat it anyhow. It tastes fine but is only an inch and a half high. NOBODY laugh! OK, go ahead. LOL! I have insomnia and am going to make another batch right now. I have been thinking about it. I will mix the yeast in warm water in a glass measuring cup on top of the dishwasher while I wash dishes. I have the wheat flour salt and 2 tablspoons sugar in the mixing bowl on the stand. I will rise it (covered) on the hot water heater. I'll keep y'all posted.

GirlNextDoor, you sound real tired. Now step away from the dough and no-one gets hurt :D

The frotty eggwhite resemblance is pretty ok normally. It should get a bit lively anyhow.

When first experimenting with sourdough the bread was a few cm high as well. And as hard as a blimming rock I don't mind telling you!

Those familiar with the books of Terry Pratchett, it could have passed for dwarf bread. That's the consistency of it :24:

Hey GND, that bread looks really good. So the experiment went good yes?

Now eat something sweet and get your bunbun to bed ya hear?

I don't think it is done. It seems kinda like banana bread. Tastes OK, though. think it's OK to eat? here is a photo (sans one bite). I went to take a pinch off the corner and the entire crust kinda fell off in my hand.

I have read the book about the elf queen.

post-6253-1262706650_thumb.jpg

It says on the recipe, makes one loaf. Didn't I add that ? Sorry if I didn't.

If you will try putting the dry yeast in the dry flour I think it may solve your problem. I never dissolve yeast in water. I think you killed the yeast the first time when it was so flat. I use instant dry yeast. SAF brand.

My computer will not let me enlarge the photo so I can't get a good look at the bread.

Do you check the finished temp. of your bread so you know it is baked properly ?

I take mine up to 190 to 195 and remove it from the oven. I use an instant read thermometer when baking bread.

This is more of a batter, not as dense as a bread you knead, so perhaps the texture was right. Since I can't see it I can't tell for sure.

That is a good idea, Edensong. Honey says I could have baked it 5 minutes more.

Violet, the first time I used 2 loaf pans to make it. There was nothing on the recipe, but, it's OK because I know now. I am gonna make yummy croutons with my first batch. I have a meat thermometer someplace I can use for this. I REALLY like the idea of absolutes because I do not have experience.

Archived