MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bread and temperature--HELP!

I feel so lame. LOL! I have tried the no knead bread recipe to no avail. Not only can I not keep my bread warm enough to actually let it rise I can't keep the cat hair out! YUCK! Is there a device I can build or buy cheaply to allow me to regulate the temperature of a batch of bread so I can start making bread with no high fructose corn syrup for .40/loaf instead of a $3 loaf with a ton of nasty chemicals? Help!!! I kick myself every time i have to buy bread.

I let mine rise in the oven. In the winter i turn to 150 degrees for one minute and then turn it off and put dough in for specified time. in the summer the pilot light is enough since my oven is gas.

You can also heat a pan of water on the stove, then sit the bread over the pan, cover with a clean tea towel and let it rise.

I sometimes also put on low power in the microwave to raise it in a bowl. This just gets it started enough to rise.

Are you sure it is the rising temp. and that you have not killed the yeast to begin with so it won't rise ?

Mix the dry yeast in the flour and it will rise. You don't have to try to "proof " they yeast in water this way. Trust me, it works. This is how I make bread.

No Knead Whole Wheat Bread

1 pgk. dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water

2 Tbsp. honey

2 Tbsp. oil

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let sit 5 min. Stir in honey and oil, salt, and whole wheat flour. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Stir in the all purpose flour. Cover and let rise 30 min. or until doubled.

Stir 30 quick strokes with wooden spoon, place batter in a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise until batter reaches the edge of the pan, about 30 min. Bake 375 degrees for 30 min. or until done.

I have not heard of letting one rise 12 hours. Perhaps Wormy has a good idea, but my new heating pad turns off after 2 hours. How about sitting it in a crockpot on low ?

Not sure the temp. of the crockpot on low, but you could heat it and check with a thermometer.

I am trying to make No Knead bread. It has to rise about 12 hours. I am having trouble maintaining the temp that long. Leaving the oven on all night makes the bread more expensive to make and it won't work in summer here in Texas. I have an electric oven.

Could You leave the oven light on ?

When i make soft cheese, i put the pan of milk in the oven with the light on. It stays at a steady temperature...and is noticibly warm. Just a thought.

No Knead Whole Wheat Bread

1 pgk. dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water

2 Tbsp. honey

2 Tbsp. oil

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let sit 5 min. Stir in honey and oil, salt, and whole wheat flour. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Stir in the all purpose flour. Cover and let rise 30 min. or until doubled.

Stir 30 quick strokes with wooden spoon, place batter in a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise until batter reaches the edge of the pan, about 30 min. Bake 375 degrees for 30 min. or until done.

I have not heard of letting one rise 12 hours. Perhaps Wormy has a good idea, but my new heating pad turns off after 2 hours. How about sitting it in a crockpot on low ?

Not sure the temp. of the crockpot on low, but you could heat it and check with a thermometer.

Dang, Violet, that recipe rocks! RezGirl posted another recipe that takes 12-18 hours. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24835 but, you bet your BIPPY I will try yours as well. I am the most efficient (read;laziest) homesteader there is and I will study a thing forever until I analyze the easiest, cheapest, fastest way there is to do it.

I think I actually found something. I am going to try this: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic...e-proofing-box/

Here is the post. I have all that dead space on my dryer to put a proofing area and a dead space in between the washer & dryer to put in a couple of Sterilite drawer sets. Note: there is a space on each side at the top of the drawers so cat hair/dust/etc can get in so I am storing the AP flour and sugar I bought in empty 2 liter soda bottles to take out as I need them. It is the best I can do at the time. I will post pics after I get it all together. City homesteading takes more thought, i reckon, because you don't have the freedom to do construction, etc.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic...ost__p__1265442

P.S. How much is in a package of yeast? I bought mine in a jar.

I always use 1 T. dry yeast for a package. I think technically it is a little less, but that is how much I use with no problems.

Well, you store what you can however you can. It all helps.

Will look at the other links in a bit. My poor computer, it is sick !!!

I'd use a cotton dish towel over the bowl to keep any kitty hair out. Use a rubber band, if necessary.

I've never used any recipe that called for a 12-hour rising, so I'm not much help there. I'll try to look at the recipes later & see what they are.... I'm racing through right now (hubby's home <_< LOL ).

Sam's Club sells 2 one-pound packages of yeast for $4.16. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....amp;item=195374 Sealed, they last a long time. Opened, I keep mine in a jar in the freezer and take it out a spoonful at a time, as needed. Again, it lasts a LONG time.

I still have a pilot light in my gas oven, too. I'm dreading having to buy a new stove, because I hear they no longer sell this kind. The pilot light warms my bread rising, dries my leftover bread slices, makes sure anything damp is completely dried, and warms anything else that needs "just a little" warmth.

Honey's DGF was a baker. Owned his own bakery about 30 years. He says to turn the oven to 200F then turn it off and open the door for a few seconds, put the dough inside and close the door it should work. That is a great idea for winter, but, what about summer?

I got these storage drawers yesterday and am putting all my odd & ends that I only use occasionally in them to make room on the counter because believe me I have barely any. In the process I found something I got at a dollar store way back when. A heatable trivet. It is a 3"x5" piece of marble tile in a plastic holder. You only have to microwave it for 2 minutes and it holds heat for a long time & transfers heat to the dish you are serving it on. I heated it 2 minutes and put it in the proofer with a towel between the proofer lid and the dryer. It maintained the ambient temp in the proofer at 75F. Not hot enough to proof dough, according to Hooney. He says I need about 90F. I reheated it, wrapped it in a cup towel and also microwaved a shallow stoneware type bowl of water for 3 minutes. That went on top of the towel (sitting on the trivet) but, under the resin covered metal rack I put on the floor of the proofer. A couple of towels on top of the proofer and I will go back & check it presently.

If that does not work I will try 2 marble 12" x 12" bathroom tiles heated in the microwave a couple of minutes @. If that does not work I will try longer heating times on the tiles and see what I get. Lastly I will try an aquarium heater in a 9" x 13" Pyrex baking dish of water under the rack and see how that works, but, I am really fired up about using the tiles to see what I get.

P.S. I posted a link to RezGirl's 12 hour dough back when I mentioned it.EDIT: OOPS! That was Screaming Eagle that posted the 12 hour recipe. I apologize for giving you a "sex change", sir. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24835

I only got the AP flour into one 2 liter bottle. It takes quite a bit longer than sugar as it does not flow as smoothly and I had to keep tapping on the top edge of the funnel with my silicone topped baking spatula to empty it into the bottle. Also, it has been almost 24 hours since I washed all the bottles and they still aren't completely dry. I have them standing in a clean Sterilite box now and it is sitting under the central heating vent.

In summer we used to make bread dough at breakfast and put it in the car for the day. If you had to go somewhere unexpectedly, someone had to hold the pans...

I spent most of my childhood driving around with the smell of bread yeast in the car.

Those are some great ideas. I was going to suggest trying the crockpot. My house is fairly cool if the temps outside get in the teens and it takes awhile for the house to warm up.

I do have a great no yeast bread recipe that I use quite a bit. If you're in a hurry, this one is easy peasy! This is a fun recipe, because you can use any liquid you have on hand, as well as an assortment of nuts, fruits or veggies.

WHITE NUT BREAD

1/2 c sugar

2 tBsp oil

1 egg

1 1/2 cups milk, water, or juice

3 cups flour

1 tBsp baking powder or 1 ½ tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

3/4 cups nuts, fruit or veggies (optional)

Combine sugar, oil, egg, and liquid. Sift dry ingredients. Add to mixture, then add nuts, fruit or veggies. Pour into greased and floured pan.

Bake in preheated oven at 350ºF for 60 minutes.

This is the original recipe. I've changed the baking powder and soda to about 1 1/2 - 2 tsp each.

Here's another I just found:

NO YEAST BREAD

4 cups flour

1 tbsp sugar

1/2 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tbsp baking soda

1½ cups water

2 tsp vinegar (cider or white)

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Combine dry ingredients and mix. Combine water and vinegar. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for two or three minutes (no need to overdo it). Shape into a round (about 1½ to 2 inches high), then place on pan. Dip a sharp knife into flour and cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Remove, and while hot, glaze with 1 tbsp melted or softened butter.

In summer we used to make bread dough at breakfast and put it in the car for the day. If you had to go somewhere unexpectedly, someone had to hold the pans...

I spent most of my childhood driving around with the smell of bread yeast in the car.

LMBO! That is awesome!

Edensong, Thank you for these. Baking powder OR baking soda? I thought you needed both?

The rice bag won't stay warm long enough. You need something with constant prolonged heat. That was why I suggested you put the dough in something and sit inside the crockpot on low. I would think a heating pad would work if it stays on and doesn't shut off like mine does.

Put the dough in a bowl first that is heatproof. Some sort of baking dish that can be put into your oven so it won't break since the crockpot will be quite warm. It has to be also something that wouldn't melt or catch fire, of course. I am thinking Pyrex or Corning ware, or even a metal pan.

Edensong, Thank you for these. Baking powder OR baking soda? I thought you needed both?

In the first one the original says OR, but as my note says, I use both at about 2 tsp each. I always thought you needed both as well. I remember trying just the baking powder and I thought it tasted "metalicy" but the bread rose just fine in the oven. That's why I cut back on the amount and added the baking soda. I just wanted you to have the original, in case you wanted to try it that way.

Whoops! What happens when you forget to add the salt to the mix? It's on the first rise now

EDIT: OK, carp! I did read the directions, I really did. But, somehow the part about stirring 30 times with a wooden spoon flew right in one ear and out the other. I separated the dough into 2 greased loaf pans and am rising it on top of the stove right now. I decided to punk out and leave the over running at 375 and am rising the dough in between the burners. Oh, yeah...I used rapid rise yeast because some nice lady that was shopping in Albertson's took pity on me and advised me in the yeast department. I used a tablespoon of it.

Archived