MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Classees

TurtleMama

I was wondering how one might go about finding a canning class in their area. I know that Violet and C4C teach such classes...I'd love to know how to find a reliable class in my area taught by certified people who use safe practices (a local store owner teaches classes on how to can in pressure cookers...it wasn't until after I'd paid for and taken the class and canned a bunch of chicken that I found this site and discovered that's not safe!!! Don't want to repeat that experience!). Any ideas?

Yes, contact your local county extension office. Even if they don't give classes perhaps they can tell you who does that would be reliable.

Too bad you could not come here for lessons ! You would be taught right and have your head spinning with information !

Thanks for the info, Wormie and Violet, I appreciate it!

I wish I could go to your classes, too, Violet, but if you ever decide to do an online canning class be sure to let me know. I'll definitely attend!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Violet~

Is the "booklet" the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning? I thought I had something else but can't find it in my binders.

TM~

If it is and they don't open the course up again, leave me a pm and I can copy it and snail mail it to you.

WormGuy, thank you, hon. :) I've got a new "favorite" to add to my list now! :D

Jori, that is so kind of you, and I might take you up on that...I would love to gather all the info I can get!

I called the Arizona extension office yesterday, and got a hold of a very wonderful, helpful woman who is going to mail me every pamphlet that the office had on home canning...she also gave me some great advice on finding a used pressure canner, and got my name and phone number so that I will be on the "to call" list for any future canning classes they do.

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but your suggestions have lit a fire under me and I finally DID it! Thanks so much, y'all! :D

Archived