MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sometimes, the answer is staring you in the face

Jori

So, my local farm where I buy produce during the spring and summer has potatoes on sale 20 lbs for $1.99. So, I picked up a bag today so I could make potato soup for dinner tonight (it's still snowing) and would use some for stew on Sunday. I figured I would just use the remainder here and there but was disappointed that I wasn't going to pick up another bag before the sale was over. 5 minutes ago, a light came on and I realized that I can can them. :24::24::24:

Agenda for tomorrow, can potatoes and make Valentine's Cut-out Cookies.

Lol, nice one Jori. Now curious minds ask, what are Valentine Cut-Out Cookies?

I picked up cookie cutters in the shape of hearts so I'll make the cookie dough we use at Christmas so the kids can do some special baking (my 2 kids, neice, and friends little girl). We don't care for sugar cookies so I have a cream cheese dough recipe used for cut out cookies and then the recipe my grandmother had.

I'll ice them and let the kids put sprinkles on them.

If you want the potatoes to be more firm, like store canned ones, then you can add some calcium chloride/ pickle crisp to each jar. I did this and was happy with the results.

You can also make mashed potatoes and freeze them. Hash brown and french fries, too, if you are interested.

If you want the potatoes to be more firm, like store canned ones, then you can add some calcium chloride/ pickle crisp to each jar. I did this and was happy with the results.

You can also make mashed potatoes and freeze them. Hash brown and french fries, too, if you are interested.

There is a post about freezing mashed potatoes, somewhere on here, isn't there. I'll try a search, too

Just make your mashed potatoes like normal, then drop by serving sizes onto a cookie sheet and place in freezer until frozen. Remove then place in freezer bags. When you want mashed potatoes, take out your servings and heat in the microwave or stovetop.

Easy peasy!

I picked up cookie cutters in the shape of hearts so I'll make the cookie dough we use at Christmas so the kids can do some special baking (my 2 kids, neice, and friends little girl). We don't care for sugar cookies so I have a cream cheese dough recipe used for cut out cookies and then the recipe my grandmother had.

Oh doh! Blonde ole me was thinking of cookies made with potatoes.... Yes, cookie cutters, got them.

Shoot, now I want cookies.

Alert, Thread Drift:

What is the recipe for the cream cheese dough cookies?

Oh doh! Blonde ole me was thinking of cookies made with potatoes.... Yes, cookie cutters, got them.

Shoot, now I want cookies.

Alert, Thread Drift:

What is the recipe for the cream cheese dough cookies?

Working on feeding the kids. I'll post it recipe for the cream cheese dough later today.

Jori, freezing mashed potatoes seems to be a little better if you use a stabilizer like sour cream, or cream cheese, with an egg when you mash em up. I also use all kinds of different flavours,

parsley, chives, bacon, cheese, garlic, onion, what ever you have. The potatoes don't get quite as crumbly, after being frozen, with a stabilizer.

You could also dehydrate some potatoes either in very thin slices or shredded for hash browns.

I boil my potatoes whole with the skins on til just done. You don't want to over cook them as they need to still be on the firm side but cooked all the way through.

Cool potatoes, then refrigerate them overnight.

Next day peel & shred them. Spread on dehydrator trays & dehydrate.

They make great hash browns. I like to add chopped onions when cooking, then top off with a slice of cheese before serving.

Archived